Musicians prepare for Honors Sinfonia auditions

Above, junior Jesse Hoopes and seniors Nick Condry and Austin Wong (left to right) play on their basses for Honors Sinfonia Orchestra. Each year, orchestra students who want to play at a more advanced level can audition for Honors Sinfonia. “[Honors Sinfonia] definitely attracts the more serious musician who is really invested, wants to play at high level repertoire and is committed,” Memoli said.
Pulling out his cello, sophomore Max Wong started to play the solo repertoire piece he had been practicing for the past week.

Behind the screen Wong faced, fine arts department head and orchestra teacher Susan Memoli typed observations of Wong’s note and rhythm-reading ability.

One week later, Wong found out that he had made it into the Honors Sinfonia Orchestra.

But that was last year. This year, another 15 students like Wong auditioned for the eight openings available in Honors Sinfonia on Monday, March 11.

There are two levels of orchestras in the WHS music program. The String Orchestra includes students of all playing abilities, and Honors Sinfonia accepts students who audition and play at a more advanced level.

“[Honors Sinfonia] definitely attracts the more serious musician who is really invested, wants to play at high level repertoire and is committed,” Memoli said.

Students were screened by a blind audition, preventing any preferential treatment. During the audition, students were asked to sight-read and play various scales and a solo repertoire piece.

During the sight-reading portion, the auditionees played a 16-measure piece they had never seen before. The students were expected to play after they are given 30 seconds to look over the piece.

“It’s a really good gauge of a person’s ability to incorporate the dynamics and articulations of a piece they’ve never done before,” Memoli said.

Memoli also acknowledged that it’s natural to feel nervous while auditioning.

“I think most everyone’s nervous. It’s a nerve-wracking thing by virtue of what it is. If you felt like you were 100% prepared, you would probably play at 80% in the room,” Memoli said.

What could be the most valuable piece of advice for musicians hoping to make the cut for Honors Sinfonia?

“Keep practicing,” said Wong and sophomore Katherine Wang, both cellists in the orchestra.