Warrior Weekly: Passing time

As athletes gear up for the spring season at WHS, Harry has five more predictions for national sports.
Well, we are kind of in an awkward week of Warrior sports. The spring season’s tryouts start today, so nothing has really happened in the past week. I am at a loss for what to say. Because there is nothing new for me to report, I am going to make some more predictions (since I did so well the first time).

A quick recap on my past sports predictions:

“I predict that the Washington Nationals will beat the New York Yankees in the World Series.”

Wrong.

“I believe that come June, we will see a rematch made in heaven. Celtics vs. Lakers in the finals. However, Dwight Howard is too much for the tired Kevin Garnett, and the Lakers will win the championship. Kobe Bryant will decide to retire after the game because of the friction he had on the court with Dwight Howard and Steve Nash.”

It’s still possible, but the chances of this happening are slim to none.

“After a blowout loss at home against the Texans, the Jets decide that Tim Tebow is the man for them at quarterback and make him the starter. After 11 terrible weeks from Tebow, Rex Ryan is fired as the Jets coach. After the season, he will become the coach for the Dallas Cowboys, where his brother Rob is the defensive coordinator. Jason Garrett, the coach of the Cowboys, will be fired after they fail to make the playoffs again.”

All four of my predictions in this one were wrong.

“The Boston Red Sox, with their offseason acquisitions of Justin Upton and Elvis Andrus, will win the 2013 World Series. Brad Ausmus is named Manager of the Year after leading them to the best record in the American League. John Lackey also will have an ERA under 4.00.”

The Red Sox could still win the World Series, and Lackey could have an ERA under 4.00, but again, I had a few things wrong.

“Surprise Super Bowl winner this year: Chicago Bears.”

This one was just embarrassing.

I still consider myself an ace of sports predictions. Here are five more to keep my readers entertained for this week.

1. Bryce Harper will have a monster sophomore season while Mike Trout struggles. Both of these players had great rookie years. Harper can only go up, but there is no room for improvement for Trout. Only one Los Angeles baseball team (Angels or Dodgers) will make the playoffs. If I had to guess, that team would be the Angels.

2. Tim Tebow will eventually be a Patriot. I am not putting a time stamp on this one. Both Belichick and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels love Tebow. They also love versatile players. It’s only a matter of time before he comes here.

3. Neither the Miami Heat nor the Oklahoma City Thunder will win the NBA championship this year. It is a tough call, but I would say either the Nuggets or the Spurs will.

4. Danny Amendola will end up with more catches than Wes Welker. Welker had 118 receptions last year, while Danny had 63. Amendola, though, only played in 11 games. This means that if he continued at the same rate all season, he would average about 92 catches in a full 16-game season. Welker still ended up with more catches, but look at who was throwing the balls. Tom Brady threw to Welker, while Amendola had Sam Bradford. Based on the ESPN stat of total QBR, which ranks the best NFL quarterbacks, Brady was second overall and Bradford was 21st overall. What will Amendola do in a 16-game season with a better quarterback? Great things. As each day goes by, I like this signing more and more.

5. The Chiefs will win the AFC West. Yes I know they had the worst record in the league last year, and, yes, I know that the Broncos are supposed to be the best team in the NFL, but I’ve got a good feeling about this one.

Hopefully at least one of my predictions will come true this time.

Good luck to everyone trying out for spring sports! The new scoreboard will be up shortly.

“You have to give 100 percent in the first half of the game. If that isn’t enough, in the second half, you have to give what’s left.” ― Yogi Berra