Technology department to search each student’s computer

Above, a computer screen containing illegal content is shown. The technology department will be searching students' computers for similar material. "The whole thing seems too dramatic," said junior Lizzy Wells.
[/caption]

Monday, April 8, the technology department will be collecting every student’s laptop from the 1:1 initiative for mandatory software updates. During first block, all seniors and sophomores are required to pass in their computers to the media center, and during third block all juniors and freshmen must do the same. Students are to pick up their laptops after school on Thursday, April 11 in the media center.

In addition to the software updates, the technology department will be using LanSchool to review all browsing history and downloads as recommended by other schools who have participated in the 1:1 initiative.

This is to ensure students are using their laptops for educational purposes and not for inappropriate or illegal activity, which would violate the WHS Acceptable Use Policy that every student signed upon receiving their laptop.

The technology department will specifically be looking for illegally downloaded music and games. They will also be searching for sites providing illegal movie or television content. Additionally, they will be looking for inappropriate web history, specifically pornographic sites and sites that reference drugs or alcohol.

Browser history of websites that do not censor content, such as Reddit and Tumblr, will be considered a violation of the WHS Acceptable Use Policy. This offense will be viewed as the highest degree of transgression.

Students should be aware that going “Incognito” on Google Chrome, “Private Browsing” on Safari or clearing their browsing history will not conceal their online actions. The technology department will view students’ history on each computer’s hard drive.

The school is liable for students who violate the law while using their computers. For this reason, the technology team feels it absolutely necessary to be aware of any misconduct by students on their laptops.

“Students who use their laptops like they’re supposed to have nothing to worry about,” said technology specialist Mary Barber, “They’ve done nothing wrong.”

If a student is found to be violating the WHS Acceptable Use Policy, which outlines the school’s expectations and guidelines for the 1:1 Initiative, he or she will be suspended for a number of days proportional to the severity of his or her offense and lose the privilege of having a laptop all together for a period of time. If the severity of a student’s misconduct is great enough, he or she will be expelled from WHS.

If the student who has violated the WHS Acceptable Use Policy is a senior, the colleges that have accepted that student will be notified. The schools will be encouraged to revoke admission, but it is ultimately their decision.

“Honestly, I’m scared because it’s unclear what the school considers appropriate or inappropriate use of the internet,” said junior Ashley Shuman.

In the week leading up to the software update, teachers are encouraged to use LanSchool to track their students during class and make sure they’re on task.

This article is an April Fools’ Day joke!

$210
$1500