“The Who’s Tommy:” Review

width=
Above, senior Jesse Vogel plays Tommy alongside his cast members in WHSTE's latest production "The Who's Tommy." WSPN's Ellen Barber reviewed the performance.
“Tommy,” this year’s WHS spring musical, was different from any other high school play, or any play for that matter, that I’ve ever seen. The cast’s high energy along with the graphics flashing on the set ensured my attention was captured at all times throughout the production.

The actual set wasn’t over the top, but the detailed props and images gave it a whole other dimension. The time and effort that went into making the props clearly showed, particularly the pinball machines. The graphics that were displayed were similarly impressive.

To understand the plot, it was very helpful to read the program before seeing the show. Going into it with background knowledge helped me notice other aspects of the play because I didn’t have to focus solely on figuring out the key plot points.

I have to give the actors an immense amount of credit. It was an extremely fast-paced play, and there were almost no breaks between numbers. The cast members were constantly singing or dancing. The energy of the actors never dwindled. It radiated from the first act to the last.

The two numbers that particularly stood out to me were “Gypsy Queen” and “Pinball Wizard.” In “Gypsy Queen”, junior Julia Terranova’s and sophomore Tori Gitten’s voices were unbelievable. They meshed perfectly together, yet sounded beautiful by themselves. They projected well, and the way they moved on stage was perfect. The other act, “Pinball Wizard,” featured juniors Liam Fay, David Coutu and Isaac Greenawalt, who did a fantastic job with not only singing, but also dancing. Fake accents always make me nervous, but they sounded like true Brits when they sang.

My one critique was the overall sound system of the show. At some points it was hard to hear the singers because their voices were overpowered by the band. To be fair, though, it was their first night and I can imagine that it will get better as the shows continues.

I was yet again blown away by a WHSTE performance. My all-time favorite is still Les Misérables, but the two shows can’t be compared. They are both operas, but that’s where their similarities end. “Tommy” isn’t your typical opera or your stereotypical high school musical. There’s lots of action and the actors are never standing still. It’s unique, fun and filled with constant energy.

$210
$1500