Wayland businesses and spring musical support The One Fund Boston

Above is a photo of the 2005 Boston Marathon. After bombs went off at the finish line of this year’s Boston Marathon, the Boston area community created The One Fund Boston to provide financial support to the victims of the bombings. The Wayland High School theater department and local businesses like Frozen Yogurt Innovations have donated to the fund. “[Supporting the One Fund] just seemed like the natural thing to do,” said Wayland High School drama teacher Richard Weingartner.
In the aftermath of the Boston Marathon bombings, Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and Mayor Menino announced the founding of The One Fund Boston, a central fund dedicated to distributing aid to those affected by the Boston bombings.

“At moments like this, we are one state, one city and one people,” Governor Patrick said in a statement announcing the formation of The One Fund Boston.

In less than a month, the fund has raised nearly $29 million, almost $11.5 million of which came from public donations. The remaining approximately $17 million was donated by corporations.

Businesses supporting the One Fund range from local companies like Upper Crust Pizzeria, to national entities like Bank of America and Dunkin’ Donuts. Dunkin’ Donuts donated $100,000 to the One Fund Boston in recognition of its Boston roots and continues to promote the One Fund at 2,000 of its New England franchises. The local chain Frozen Yogurt Innovations made a donation of $1,420, which was all of the company’s sales from the evening of April 24

Many companies felt compelled to support The One Fund Boston because of a personal connection to the Boston Marathon bombings. Jordan Tobin, the founder of Upper Crust Pizzeria, decided to donate five percent of sales from his chain’s “Slice of the Month” menu option after his Watertown location was forced to close during the manhunt for Dzhokar Tsarnaev.

The Wayland High School theater department also donated the proceeds of ticket sales for Wednesday night’s performance of “The Who’s Tommy” to the One Fund.

“We have always used the Wednesday night performance [of the spring musical] as a fundraiser,” Wayland High School drama teacher Richard Weingartner said. “[Supporting the One Fund] just seemed like the natural thing to do.”