Warrior Weekly: Blaming the refs

width="470"
This week, Harry argues that referees deserve more respect than we've been giving them.
As athletes we’ve all dealt with them. We dread them. We’re frustrated by them. Everybody has to deal with a bad referee/umpire at some point in their sports careers. And I’m sure that everybody has played in games that have been influenced by a “bad call.”

This past week, there were two blown calls in the MLB, one that even blew a game. In one of the calls, the umpire simply did not know the rules (he has been suspended), and in the other, the umpire simply blew the call even after watching video replay. People were calling for these games to be replayed. There were huge outcries over these two calls.

The reason I am bringing this up is to calm everybody down.

Human error is part of the game. As a baseball player, I try my hardest not to talk to the ump or disrespect him. He has a hard job. I know that some players act differently. Some of them even like to argue to get calls turned their way.

But in reality, it doesn’t matter. There are blown calls at all levels of the game. Believe it or not, refs couldn’t care less about us. Do you think they really care who wins a high school sporting event? We complain about refs and umpires way too often.

Yes we should always play hard, but calls won’t always go our way. When I hear people arguing that referees should just be computers and robots I get offended. Sports are fun and are supposed to be carefree. Do we really need robots running our life? No we don’t. Human error is a part of the game. Just deal with it.

In other news, congratulations to the sailing team for going 9-1 on the season. In only their third year of existence, they have become successful.

Also, congratulations to sophomore Will Sharton who was ranked fourth overall in the boys 16 and under bracket.

Keep checking Warrior Scores for all of your daily score updates as we get closer and closer to tournament time. Believe it or not, it is actually updated daily.

“I didn’t mean to hit the umpire with the dirt, but I did mean to hit that bastard in the stands.”
— Babe Ruth