Best of the MetroWest: Shake Shack

width="470"
This week, Ally reviews Shake Shack, and raves about their 'Shroom Burger.
The bell rings, signaling the end of class. You have a free and so does your friend, and you’ve been starving since second block. You see a group of kids sprinting to the parking lot. Where are they headed? The answer is Shake Shack: A new restaurant located in Chestnut Hill, about 20 minutes away from Wayland. Originated in New York City, this is Shake Shack’s first location in Massachusetts. It has additional locations throughout the Northeast, Florida, and as far away as Dubai, the UK and Turkey!

Shake Shack has been the talk among many students for the past few weeks, and I had been looking forward to trying it out myself. Now that I have, I can confidently say that it’s a “must-try.”

It was difficult to miss the huge “Shake Shack” sign written in all caps and positioned next to a metal hamburger outline on the exterior of the building. I pulled into the parking lot, and was lucky to get a space because it was quite crowded. Excited to get my food, I walked past expansive outdoor seating to stand in the long line that started upon entry into the Shack. I was expecting a long wait, but the line moved surprisingly fast.

The menu was enlarged on the wall, as well as on the outside of the Shack. I scanned the different categories with a grumbling stomach. There is really something for everyone at Shake Shack. Between burgers, hot-dogs, custards, shakes, fries and more, you can’t go wrong with your order.

I wasn’t very impressed with the decor. There were simple benches, tables, chairs and two flat screen TV’s on the walls. They did have a spigot of tap water with plastic cups as a free drink option, though, which I thought was a good idea.

The simple decor was a minor blemish; the mouth-wateringly delicious food completely made up for it.

Their burgers are 100% all-natural angus beef and are cooked medium unless otherwise requested. They start as cheap as $3.75, and the most expensive burgers are $8.50. It was very difficult for me to decide what to eat, but I finally settled on the ‘Shroom Burger (a crisp fried portobello mushroom burger filled with melted muenster and cheddar cheese, topped with lettuce, tomato, and ShakeSauce), cheese fries and a chocolate peanut butter shake.

The ‘Shroom Burger was to die for. It was crispy on the outside with warm, melty cheese under the fried coating. The crinkle cut Yukon potato fries were seasoned with salt and pepper and came with a sauce that was blended with cheddar and American cheese. The fries were flavorful on their own, but even better when dipped in the sauce.

The chocolate-peanut butter shake was the best shake I have ever had. It was smooth, creamy and thick, with rich chocolate and peanut butter flavor. No matter what you are in the mood for, a Shake Shack shake is a must-buy. Shake Shack also offers the option of Concretes, which include Shake Shack’s special custard blended with a variety of optional mix ins.

This month, if you donate $2 to their No Kid Hungry campaign with your order, you will receive a card for a free shake on your next visit.

My dining companions all ordered burgers, and they raved about the quality of the beef. They especially loved the Double Shack Burger, complete with two patties, lettuce, tomato, and ShackSauce. The one recommendation I have is for the Shack to increase its burger topping options for a more customizable order.

Overall, I would highly recommend Shake Shack when you are looking for an inexpensive, casual and high-quality bite to eat. It is a must-visit for sure. I cant wait to go back!

Open daily: 11AM – 11PM