Senior Kevin Capasso to DJ prom

width="470"
The image above shows a typical DJ setup. Senior Kevin Capasso, who will be DJing this year’s prom, enjoys DJing because he gets to play around with music and watch people's reactions when they hear it. “My favorite part is being able to play music I love and watching people react to it; it's a really fulfilling feeling,” Capasso said.
Music blasting, senior Kevin Capasso stands in front of his laptop. With ten seconds left in the song, it’s time for a transition. Slowly, Capasso mixes his next selection, matching tempos and listening for the reaction from his audience. As DJ of the class of 2014’s prom, Capasso’s selections will dictate the atmosphere of Wayland High School’s biggest party.

“It feels very empowering,” Capasso said. “You’re at a party, and the whole tone of the night is set by me.”

Taking center stage would be nerve racking for many, and Capasso admits picking the next song is not always easy. “One of the biggest problems with being a DJ is balancing the music I like with the music people know and want to hear,” Capasso said.

Luckily, while a song is playing Capasso has plenty of time to pick out a new one and get it queued up.

Capasso is almost always ready to mash to a new song when his audience gets bored. Only if he gets distracted is there an issue.

“Sometimes I look back at my laptop and see there’s 10 seconds left until I’m playing silence,” Capasso said.

Even then, a small silence between songs is rarely noticed. “It’s like anything musical, nothing sounds wrong until you let it show that you messed up,” Capasso said.

Capasso’s interest in DJing stemmed from his knowledge of guitar and music theory.

“It interested me to see what types of music I could mix together and alter with all the DJ tools,” Capasso said. “I’ve always loved finding new music and playing it for people, so that part of DJing was always there.”

Capasso hopes to continue DJing, trying to go to as many events as he can this summer and work as DJ once he’s at college. In college, he plans on majoring in business and music to help him further his career.

No matter where Capasso is DJing, he loves the feelings of fulfillment it gives him.

“My favorite part is being able to play music I love and watching people react to it,” Capasso said. “The feeling when I mix and mash two songs really well and each song’s energy feeds off the other’s is pretty awesome. It makes you feel like you’re part of the music instead of just playing it.”