WHS introduces Tri-M society

width=
Above are instruments from the 2013 String Jamboree. Some WHS students who participate in the music curriculum will get the opportunity to apply for the new Tri-M Music Society. "Recognizing the kids who have met a really high-level performance is something I really wanted us to have," fine arts department head Susan Memoli said.

The National Honor Society, which honors students for academic and community-related achievements, has been a part of WHS’s history for over sixty years. However, there hasn’t been such a society for musical achievements in the past.

Starting this spring, selected students will have the opportunity to apply for the Tri-M Music Honor Society. It was founded in 1936 and is an internationally known society for middle and high school students. The society recognizes students for exceptional performance ability as well as academic achievements. However, this is the first year WHS is offering admission to Tri-M to students.

At WHS, the society is only offered for juniors and seniors, which means that sophomores and juniors are applying this spring. Students must have a 3.0 GPA out of a 4.0 scale and an A- average in all of their music courses. They also must have auditioned for Senior Districts, although it’s not a requirement to have made it. Students who meet these requirements are sent an application which they can fill out. In addition, applicants also need a music teacher who will support them and agree that they would be a good candidate.

Students in Tri-M will also participate in community service that is music-related. These projects could include fundraising for places that can’t afford to teach music, or performing in various communities.

”It’s something that has been on my list since I took this job five years ago,” said fine arts department head Susan Memoli. “Taking what we’ve developed personally and sharing that with the wider community is so important. Recognizing the kids who have met a really high-level performance is something I really wanted us to have.”

As of this spring, there are eleven students in the society. After Senior Districts in the fall, more students will be eligible to apply for the society.

On Saturday June 5, there will be an induction ceremony at the high school. The ceremony will also include a recital in which students are required to perform.

“We felt very strongly that we wanted to get it going,” Memoli said. “We’re going to pick officers out of this group who will become leaders and help facilitate it next year.”

In addition, there will be another ceremony in the fall, which will include new members as well as members who couldn’t make the first ceremony.

$210
$1500