Scrambled: Tortilla Española

width="470"
This week on "Scrambled," Anna and Daly talk about tortilla española, a Spanish dish

Hello Scrambled readers!

This past February, I traveled to Betanzos, Spain on the school exchange trip. While I was there, my eyes were opened to a whole new variety of foods, all (or most) of which were delicious. One of the entire group’s favorite foods was called tortilla española.

Tortilla española is essentially an omelette. However, it isn’t eaten as a breakfast food. Generally in Spain, lunch is the biggest meal of the day, and I always ate the tortilla then.

So what was one of the first things I wanted to eat when I got back from the trip? Tortilla española! Unfortunately, because I didn’t know what the correct amounts were for the ingredients, whenever I tried to make it, it just didn’t come out right.

This is why when my exchange host, Alba, came to stay with my family for two weeks, we asked her to help us make it for dinner one night. It was delicious. One thing that’s nice about it is how simple the recipe is.

Here’s the recipe that my host mom likes to use. She has used this recipe all her life, and it comes from her family, not a book.

Pictured above is Anna's Tortilla española.

Ingredients:
six eggs
one large potato
salt
vegetable oil

First, chop up the potato into pieces about the size of dice, or a little bigger. Then, in a medium sized, round frying pan, pour enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom and fill up the pan about one and a half inches deep. Fry the potatoes until they are golden brown, then drain the potatoes into a bowl. Afterward, drain the oil, leaving enough to still shallowly cover the bottom of the pan.

Next, in a separate bowl, crack and beat the eggs. Add enough salt to fit your preference.

Then, pour the eggs and potatoes back into the frying pan. Allow them to sit until they are cooked on the bottom. Then, flip the tortilla onto a plate, and slide it back into the pan to allow it to cook on the other side. Once the entire tortilla has the consistency of scrambled eggs, it should be done.

¡Buen provecho!

$210
$1500