Students informed on principal selection process at forum

width="470"
Wednesday, Superintendent Paul Stein and Assistant Superintendent Brad Crozier informed WHS students about the principal search at a student forum. Two students will be chosen as representatives to participate in the principal selection process. "Students have a fresh view on things," Crozier said.
Wednesday, November 20, Dr. John Ritchie held a student forum open to the entire student body regarding the principal search. The forum was run by Superintendent Paul Stein and Assistant Superintendent Brad Crozier. Seven junior and senior students from Student Council or their respective Executive Board attended.

At the forum, Stein and Crozier informed the students on the selection process for next year’s principal.

“Hiring a principal is probably one of the most important things I do,” Stein said.

Stein foresees he will receive between 25 and 60 applications.

“This is a job to die for,” Stein said.

The process will begin by creating a Selection Advisory Committee, whose job is to assist Stein in the principal selection process. They first will read through and rank the applicants’ resumes, narrowing down the pool to eight to 12 semi-finalists. Next, the committee will create interview questions and hold interviews. From these interviews, the committee will choose about three finalists. Then, the finalists will visit WHS, and there will be potential site visits at the applicant’s schools. Lastly, Stein will make the final decision.

This committee will be composed of two students, four parents, five teachers including at least one department head, two central office administrators including Crozier, Ritchie, one assistant principal, one teacher assistant, one administrative assistant and one METCO parent.

“It’s my belief that each group should pick their own representatives,” Stein said.

Any sophomore, junior or senior may apply to be one of the two students on the Selection Advisory Committee. All members of Student Council, as well as all members of each grade’s E-Boards will then vote on the two student representatives.

“Students’ perspectives are really important on a committee. Students have a fresh view on things,” Crozier said.

Stein and Crozier also stressed that all students applying to serve on the Selection Advisory Committee must be willing to make the time commitment. The committee will meet at the Town Building at least six times. These meetings are mandatory, and some will take place during the week of mid-year exams. Everyone on the committee is also committed to reading all of the applicants’ resumes.

“You can’t miss a part of the process,” Stein said.

Some members of E-Board and Student Council already have a clear idea of what they want in their student representatives for the Selection Advisory Committee, as well as what they want in the new principal.

“I think a good student candidate is someone who understands the culture of the high school and who knows [the characteristics of] someone who would fit into that,” President of the Class of 2014, Melissa Kay, said. “The most effective principal is someone who also has their own personality. We all remember Dr. Tutwiler for being King Tut.”