Eli Bucher: It’s creative problem solving

width="470"
Pictured above is Anagrams Twist played on a Google Nexus 7. Junior Eli Bucher is currently working on developing a version of Anagrams Twist for Android devices. "It's creative problem solving," Bucher said.
It’s a common sight to see students slicing watermelons while playing Fruit Ninja or selecting a photo filter for their carefully arranged plate of strawberries using Instagram. However, it’s rare to find students being hired to develop this kind of entertainment for smartphone devices.

For the past two weeks, junior and AP computer science student Eli Bucher has been working with OmNom Apps, an independent application development company.

Bucher was hired to adapt the game Anagram Twist for Android software. Anagram Twist is currently only available for the iPhone and iPad. The concept of Anagram Twist is to create as many words as possible given six letters. The Android version of Anagram Twist is expected to be released later this month.

Bucher was hired via Reddit, a website with a forum-like set up, where users can, among many other things, post pictures, post videos, ask for advice or in Bucher’s case, discover a job opportunity.

After seeing OmNom’s post on Reddit, Bucher contacted the company. He then had a job interview over the phone and was given the job after showing the company some of his work.

Bucher found the most challenging aspect of developing Anagram Twist for Android devices adjusting the game’s appearance so it would appear the same as the iOS version.

“The hardest part about making an iPhone game look the same on an Android is dealing with all the different screen sizes. iPhones, other than the 5’s, are all short and fat compared to most Android phones. Androids also have a huge variety of screen sizes and screen densities while the iOS only has iPhone, iPad and iPad mini,” Bucher said.

Bucher’s interest in computer science sparked during the summer of his freshman year when he took a five day programming class. He hopes to continue working in computer science in the future.

“It’s creative problem solving,” Bucher said.

$60
$1500