The Ally Way: How to give memorable holiday gifts

width="470"
This week, blogger Ally Toto has got you covered on how to give great gifts in every tricky situation.
It’s that time of year again! Christmas, Kwanzaa and the New Year are all approaching fast. How do you know what kind of presents to get without breaking your bank? And what on earth do you give to your third cousin? With these helpful tips, gift shopping will be smooth sailing.

Preliminary tips to picking out a gift:
Investigate interests: Talk to friends/family of gift receiver, or ask the gift receiver directly.
Represent the occasion: When in doubt, purchase something that relates to the specific holiday.
Customize to the type of person: For example, a young child usually likes stuffed animals, books, or toys.
Look online: Typically there are special web only deals and items you can’t find in stores.
Know your budget: Plan in advance how much to spend on each person’s gift.

1. Situation A: You have no money to spend…but you have baking ingredients.
Solution: Put on your apron and bake something from scratch! Holiday cookies such as gingerbread men are fun and easy to make. Frosted sugar cookies that spell out “Happy Holidays” in frosting are also delicious and always appreciated.

I personally love making chocolate dipped oreos, pretzels or dried apricots with sprinkles on top and placing them in a gift bag tied with a festive ribbon.

2. Situation B: You have no money to spend…but you have craft supplies.
Solution: A thoughtful card is always a meaningful gift because it shows that you really care. Wish the person not only a happy holiday season, but also reflect on fun experiences you’ve had with them and tell them why they are special to you. Older relatives especially appreciate these types of gifts.

You can also paint a picture frame (put a photo of you and the person you are giving the frame to inside it), decorate a mug, make an ornament, create a candle, make soap or create jewelry. The possibilities are endless!

3. Situation C: You have money…but you have a small budget and many gifts to buy!
Solution: Think about getting each person something meaningful and small and pairing it with something handmade. You could fill a bag or stocking full of trinkets that are tailored to the person’s interests. A themed bag with, for example, gifts related to dogs, chocolate, the Red Sox or technology, are all different potential interests. If you don’t want to go with that idea, shop various sales, thrift shops and craft fairs for gifts that are both inexpensive and cool.

4. Situation D: You have money…but what in the world do you buy for _____?
Solution: Ask friends and family about this person’s interests. For guys, something sports themed, a gag gift, or something homemade may be appreciated if you are unsure of their personal interests. Jewelry, hats/scarves/gloves or lotions are typically gifts that a girl will appreciate. If you really have no idea what to get, a gift card or money is acceptable, but think about pairing it with a kind card to make it more personal.

$210
$1500