How to fight stress

width="470"
WSPN's David Flynn gives advice on how to de-stress.

Stress is the body’s reaction to any change that requires an adjustment or response. The body reacts to these changes with physical, mental and emotional responses. School stress is affecting students across the nation. On a recent survey of 204 high school students conducted by Seven Hills High School in Ohio, only eight students reported that they had no stress whatsoever. Twenty percent of students said they had limited stress, 42% had moderate stress, 29% had high stress and 6% had extreme stress.

According to the survey, the main causes of high school stress are classwork, homework and grades, which make up 93% of the primary sources of stress. For upperclassmen, 70% list college prep as another major cause.

Stress can have side effects including headaches, muscle pain, fatigue and sleep problems. Not only does it just affect your body, it can also affect your mood, leading to anxiety, lack of motivation, irritability, angry outbursts, sadness and social withdrawal.

With teachers trying to cram in tests, projects and papers before the quarter ends, school couldn’t get any harder than it is now. But wait! Midterms are next week, and you’re panicking. Don’t worry, here are some ways you can keep your cool and de-stress.

Take a time out: Sometimes you just need one. Just take a moment to decompress, set goals, relax, breathe deeply and stretch.

Take it easy: Instead of doing a labor intensive workout that can increase stress, try doing some light exercises that will put you in a better mood.

Go outside: Stress can be triggered when our bodies don’t know what time it is. Try to find some time to take a 20 minute walk to just go outside. Not only is it calming, but you can get fresh air, exercise and vitamin D!

Kick back and watch your favorite movie or show: It’s not like you don’t go on Netflix anyway. After a hard day, just relax, grab a healthy snack and continue that TV show series you were on.

Find a good pastime: Whether it be making puzzles, reading or playing a video game — find some activity to take up. Overthinking without being able to take a break can draw you into a deeper feeling of being overwhelmed. Whether your parents like it or not, getting absorbed in video games provides a distraction and relaxes the nervous system.

Call or hang out with a friend: It’s a nice mental break. Being with a friend will help make your troubles go away, and it’s nice to have a friend that can give you a pick-me-up. While you’re at it, make some plans for the weekend. It’s a great thing to look forward to!

Treat yourself: Sometimes, you just need a candy bar to get through that paper. If you can, take a walk to the local convenience store and pick one up.

Clean your room and desk: It may sound lame, but it takes less time than you think. A clear space leads to a clear mind, and it can increase productivity. It will also feel really good to finally go into a clean room, and your parents will be happy.

Take a shower: Take a nice and warm shower and let the stress melt away. The water also feels good, and you’ll be squeaky clean after!

Go out for a drive: Just go out on the open road, play your favorite music and enjoy the scenery while you’re at it. You’ll also be able to get some alone time from the house and clear your mind.

Watch some funny Youtube clips: Laughter is the best medicine! Who doesn’t want to see a dog driving a car or a man eating 500 Sour Patch Kids in one sitting?

Eat at your favorite restaurant: Food is always the answer. Especially good food.

Listen to music: Find a new station on Pandora or buy some iTunes cards and then sit back and let your favorite music calm your nerves. Tuning out the world for even five minutes can lower stress and improve mental clarity.