Netflix Picks: “Once Upon a Time in the West”

WSPN blogger Rex Provost, pictured above, reviews "Once Upon a Time in the West," a film available on Netflix.

As I scrolled through the endless “Suggestions” lists on Netflix, I found a hidden gem in the “Western” section — “Once Upon a Time in the West.” I’m usually not a huge fan of epics, but “Once Upon a Time in the West,” coming in at two hours and forty-five minutes, managed to hold my attention until the end. The film has it all when it comes to westerns: a great orchestral soundtrack, a tanned and manly cowboy protagonist, a rich as he is evil railroad baron, wide shots of deserts, prolonged close-ups and, of course, a climactic showdown shootout. And, yet, the movie still seems fresh and original.

The plot of the film is simple and arguably cliché, but it’s told so well that it won’t feel that way. A mysterious and quiet cowboy (Charles Bronson) joins forces with a notorious outlaw (Jason Robarbs) to protect a damsel in distress (Claudia Cardinale) from a merciless assassin (Henry Ford) who works for a greedy baron who wants to eliminate anyone in the way of his railroad. The acting doesn’t stand out; it’s neither really good nor really bad. The true forte of the movie is behind the camera. Director Sergio Leone is a master of his craft — each shot is perfectly composed, and each scene takes its time.

Although Leone is better known for his other classic western, “The Good, the Bad and the Ugly,” I’d have to say I prefer “Once Upon a Time in the West.” That being said, both are great. If you enjoy “Once Upon a Time in the West,” I’d recommend any of Sergio Leone’s work, comprised of a lot of spaghetti westerns, but also some other varieties, such as “Once Upon a Time in America,” an immigrant’s tale taking place in New York. However, none of these are on Netflix, so you may have to go to your local Blockbuster.

$210
$1500