Joe Spagnuolo: I’m the bridge connecting the tutor to the parent

width="404"
Pictured above is senior Joe Spagnuolo. Spagnuolo has been in charge of running Wayland Tutors, LLC since the beginning of this year. “I’m the bridge connecting the tutor with the parent; then, once I connect them, they’re free to work out the details,” Spagnuolo said.
While some high schoolers get jobs to keep busy or to put some change in their pockets, few high schoolers actually run a business like senior Joe Spagnuolo. Spagnuolo is the COO of Wayland Tutors, LLC, the tutoring company Joh Huo, Class of 2013, created last year.

Spagnuolo heard about the position last year when Huo made an announcement in EBM classes looking for someone interested in running the tutoring business.

“I was thinking to myself that this could be a really good opportunity,” Spagnuolo said. “I also run a company where we set up concerts at retirement homes, but I thought this could be an extension of that, and this would give me more autonomy.”

As COO, Spagnuolo is in charge of finding tutors for the company, marketing the company and connecting tutors with families who need them.

“I’m the bridge connecting the tutor with the parent; then once I connect them, they’re free to work out the details,” Spagnuolo said. “I try not to get involved in their affairs because they understand what that student needs better than I do.”

Since becoming COO, Spagnuolo has broadened the company’s tutoring abilities.

“I expanded the company to include musical tutoring because previously we just dealt with academic subjects, but now we have someone tutoring piano and someone else tutoring guitar,” Spagnuolo said.

Spagnuolo believes that the benefits of Wayland Tutors, LLC are that it charges less than other tutoring companies and that its tutors have a way to relate to their students.

“The students that I employ have been through mostly the same classes as the middle school and elementary school students that they tutor,” Spagnuolo said. “We felt that this is a far superior connection than someone who comes from another town not necessarily knowing how Wayland or any of its teachers worked.”

According to Spagnuolo, his favorite part about running the company is hearing the feedback he gets from the parents and his tutors.

“Hearing ‘I love the tutor you gave me; he or she is a really good fit for my child,’ from parents is a really good feeling. I feel like I did this, I was able to connect these two students together, and it seems like they are really working well together,” Spagnuolo said.

In the future Spagnuolo plans to take the same approach to the end of the year that Huo did.

“I would speculate that the plan is to go to EBM classes and announce that I have this company; come contact me if you’re interested,” Spagnuolo said. “I’ll vet you for the job to see if you’re qualified, and then we’ll pick the best one.”

$60
$1500