Boys’ hockey sectional finals preview

width="480"
Pictured above is the boys' hockey team. Tonight they will play Newton South in the boys' hockey sectional finals.
Boys’ hockey will play Newton South High School in the boys’ hockey section finals tonight. WSPN Sports Editor Harry Falber interviewed NSHS Denebola’s reporter Adam Frank about what we can expect to see from South in this game.

What has been an advantage for South?
“An advantage for South has been its ability to score. The team has a lot of chemistry and motivation. We have strong junior players who have been playing together on varsity since their freshmen year. South has a very good power play as well.”

Who has been playing exceptionally?
“Junior captain Griffin Connolly has really stood out this season. Last year he had around 30 goals. Last game against Dracut, he had a hat trick, eventually winning the game for South in OT. He has the ability to weave in and out of lanes and has an incredibly quick snap shot. Chris Olsson (goalie) has also had an exceptional year.”

What are some of South’s weaknesses?
“South has a tendency to turn over the puck while attempting to break out down low. Wings sometimes are not open, leaving defenders prone to being forechecked. The defense does not always move the puck as quickly as they need to.”

How has South prepared for this game?
“Last year South had to win their last game of the season in order to qualify for the tournament. Lowell ended up defeating them. This provided even more impetus for this year’s team. South has worked on their power play, experimenting with different formations, such as the umbrella. The past two years, South had been within a few games of qualifying for the tournament; however, this year the Lions have had true success, an unexpected one to say the least.”