Students share opinions about enforced parking regulations

width="470"
Administration is now enforcing a stricter policy in order to address students parking in spots that aren't designated to them. "I park in my regulated spot; why wouldn’t I? If you can afford a car, you can definitely afford a parking spot." senior Josh O'Neil said.
[/caption]

On Wednesday, February 16, Vice Principal Scott Parseghian sent out the following email to all juniors and seniors regarding parking regulations:

“Dear Juniors and Seniors,
It has come to our attention that students are parking in the visitor lot when returning to campus. If you park in the visitor lot starting on Thursday you will be towed.

FYI- A tow will cost you $200

Coach P & Coach Cobb”

Parseghian sent this email after receiving reports of students parking in places other than their assigned spots.

“I hate towing and did it way back when we were doing the school’s construction, and it was the worst part of my job, but somebody is going to be towed after vacation,” Parseghian said.

Due to the rising amount of complaints from parents and students, Parseghian and Cobb will be checking the security cameras more often.

“We try to check [the cameras] every day. Are we great about it? No, but Mr. Cobb and I are checking more and more frequently now that we got all these complaints,” Parseghian said.

Junior John Cocce didn’t park in his regulated parking spot because of insufficient snow plowing in the junior lot. “I usually park in [my regulated parking spot], but there’s a huge snowbank in it. I blame the town for that,” Cocce said.

Junior Kaitlyn Haase thinks parking closer to the school is a good choice.

“I think it’s smart because people are probably parking closer to the school, so it’s a shorter walk. There are so many spots, so you can just pick one of the other hundred if someone takes yours,” Haase said.

Senior Josh O’Neil disagrees and thinks students should park in their own spots.

“It’s stupid. Park in your own spot. I park in my regulated spot; why wouldn’t I? If you can afford a car, you can definitely afford a parking spot. One person has parked in my spot three times,” O’Neil said.

Junior Iain Brogan, who doesn’t have a parking spot, thinks otherwise.

“I think it’s fine [to park elsewhere.] Who wants to pay $220 for a parking spot?” Brogan said.

Many students believe there should be little or no consequences for parking in non-regulated spots, and first time offenders should only be given warnings.

Cocce believes a student should have a valid excuse to park in a spot other than his or her regulated spot.

“Punishment should only be a warning telling students that they should park in their spot and make an announcement reminder that only juniors who have snow in their spot or have a good excuse can park in the senior lot.”