Vanessa Sze: I’m doing something unique

width="470"
Senior Vanessa Sze is going to the Culinary Institute of America for college, where she is pursing a pastry and baking degree. “It wasn’t anything really sudden or a life changing epiphany. I grew up around cooking and baking. I remember my mom, my sister and I used to bake brownies together. It started out with box mix and then it gradually stepped up,” Sze said.

While most seniors apply to traditional colleges and universities and decide what they are going to major in later on, a select few apply to specialized institutions to start mastering their crafts early on. Senior Vanessa Sze became a part of that select few when she was accepted to the Culinary Institute of America (CIA) in Hyde Park, New York.

“It wasn’t anything really sudden or a life changing epiphany,” Sze said. “I grew up around cooking and baking. I remember my mom, my sister and I used to bake brownies together. It started out with box mix and then it gradually stepped up.”

Even though Sze decided to go to culinary school at the end of sophomore year, she didn’t know what type of degree to pursue.

“I wasn’t sure if I wanted to do a culinary or a baking and pastry degree,” Sze said. “As the year went on, I realized baking and pastry has a more relaxed environment, whereas with cooking you have to be fast paced, so I like baking.”

Sze will pursue the CIA’s Bachelor’s degree in Baking and Pastry Arts Management, which includes business and leadership courses, work study programs and baking classes.

“Class sign ups are the first day,” Sze said. “But I can expect bread class and cake decorating class, which sounds extremely fun. Classes are in specific areas that you wouldn’t normally think to have classes in.”

Compared to a traditional university, the CIA offers many of the same academic courses.

“I believe going into your junior and senior courses you’re in the classroom more learning academics. They have math, history and business management courses,” Sze said. “And it’s not random history, it’s all related to baking and pastry and culinary.”

The CIA also offers internships, one of which Sze will complete her sophomore year.

“Sophomore year I have what’s called an externship. You don’t have to pay tuition for that semester, and you go out where the CIA has a partnership with,” Sze said. “Sometimes you get paid, and it’s apparently really fun.”

Applying to culinary school is similar to applying to your typical college or university except that you apply directly through the school’s website, not through the Common Application. Also, the school provides you with their own supplementary essays to complete.

Sze will begin her time at the CIA on June 16, just eight days after she graduates from WHS.

“The CIA has a new starting class every three weeks,” Sze said. “There’s no freshman class or sophomore class, a freshman is whoever is in their first year and a sophomore is whoever is in their second year, but it’s not a defined set of people. I was going to start January 27, and they said they have openings for an earlier date, so my parents said let’s do it.”

Sze does have some worries going beginning her studies so soon.

“My hope going into culinary school is to fit in,” Sze said. “My biggest worry is that I’m not as experienced as some people are, but the admissions say ‘don’t worry, we encourage amateurs to join.’”

After graduating from the CIA, Sze hopes to fully enter the food industry.

“After culinary school, I want to apprentice or do an internship somewhere, and then later down the road hopefully open up a bakery or a wedding cake shop.” Sze said. “I’m doing something unique.”