Warrior Weekly: Weekend Roundup

This week, Warrior Weekly blogger Daly Place talks about how the WHS sports teams did this past weekend.

This past weekend was a very eventful weekend for Wayland Athletics! Kicking off the weekend were our Friday games. The girls’ field hockey team defeated Lincoln-Sudbury 1-0 with a goal in the final minutes by senior Natalya Denisevich. This win was icing on top of the rest of the success the girls have experienced because it is the first time Wayland has beaten LS in a couple seasons. Girls’ volleyball sailed through their game at Framingham last Friday by defeating Framingham three matches in a row.

The cross country DCL meet was also held on Friday at Franklin Park. Both teams had some notable individual results although they did not reach the team success they had hoped for. The girls’ team came in 10th in the DCL, with a notable time for Sarah Tully who came in sixth running her 5k at 19:15. The boys’ team came in eighth in the DCL, with Graham Macklin coming in 19th with a time of 17:25.

Later on Friday, the football team had a tough match against Concord-Carlisle and ended up losing 19-8. With the loss, the boys moved to a 4-3 record on the season and were not able to capture the DCL small title. Due to their record, the team was seeded number 5 in the Northwest sectional bracket and will face Arlington High School at Arlington on Friday at 7 p.m..

On Saturday morning, the varsity cheerleading competition team competed in their first competition of the season at Marlboro High School. Although the girls had some trouble preparing their routine, they came home with an impressive third place trophy!

Also on Saturday, both the boys’ and girls’ soccer teams had their senior nights. The boys kicked the night off at 4:30 and defeated Boston Latin 3-0 with one of the goals scored on a penalty kick by senior Andres Pascual-Leone. Next, the girls faced rival Lynnfield, but unfortunately lost the matchup 2-0.

Sunday was very successful for Wayland-Weston Crew! To start off the day WW Crew’s women’s double came in first by 26 seconds at states; senior Audrey Zizza was one half of this victorious pair. To follow that up, WW crews women’s pair won their race by a minute and 18 seconds! The difference between a double and a pair is that a double has four oars, and the pair has two oars. The girls’ varsity eight boat came in first by 29 seconds in their race as well. These accomplishments lead to the team winning the overall points trophy for girls.

The boys also raced in states this weekend and had experienced their own success. In their respective races the boys first, second, third and fourth boats came in: second, second, first and third. The boys won second place for all combined points, which put WW Crew in second place for the combined points boys and girls trophy.

Finally, ending the weekend on a high note on Monday the Golf team won the Division 2 State Title. The team beat out number two finisher Duxbury by two strokes with a count of 306. Senior captain of the team, Nick Morgan, came in second individually with a stroke count of 72, and junior George Mead followed in third with a stroke count of 73.

We are coming to the most exciting parts of the sports season: tournament. This fall boys’ soccer, field hockey, football and cross country are all moving ahead to the state tournament.

To stay up to date on all sports scores and tournament events make sure to follow us on twitter @warriorscores.