Mirror Mirror: Winter Wardrobe Essentials

This week, Nina discusses the her wardrobe essentials for winter.

When packing for our journalism class trip to Washington D.C., I started thinking about what items I absolutely needed to bring: my wardrobe essentials (particularly, for winter). Here is the list I came up with and links to where you can purchase them.

Leather jacket:
I’m both embarrassed and proud to say that I have three lovely faux leather jackets (some say it’s too many, but I respectfully disagree). I haven’t splurged on a real leather jacket, but high-street stores like H&M and Topshop have some amazing faux choices, as does Forever 21. I pair my leather jackets with everything. They are definitely my number one wardrobe staple.
1 / 2 / 3

Soft scarf:
We live in the greater Boston area, and that means winter is wicked cold. A super soft scarf is the perfect solution! I am currently loving the oversized ones that can sometimes double as a blanket. They add something special to any outfit.
1 / 2 / 3

Printed dresses and playsuits:
Dresses and playsuits are my go-to wardrobe option when I don’t know what to wear (leather jacket over, of course). I am obsessed with ones that have interesting prints and patterns at the moment. Zara and H&M have a variety of choices. For you seniors, these are perfect for college interviews!
1 / 2 / 3

Heeled ankle booties:
I cannot say enough about heeled ankle booties. Lots of people have asked me why I wear heels to school, and it’s because heels make me feel so much more confident (plus, I am 5-foot-3). You walk a different way when you wear heels, even if they are just a few inches like the linked ones below. Despite popular belief, heeled booties are perfect for winter and are definitely a must-have.
1 / 2 / 3

Black high waisted jeans:
I talked a little bit about high-waisted jeans in my last blog post, but I’m going to talk more! High waisted jeans are my favorite cut and style; they work well with my height and frame and look the best on me when in black. I love the quote “I will stop wearing black when they make a darker color.”
1 / 2 / 3

Chunky knit:
I wish this sweater was 1/10 of the price that it actually is because it is my perfect idea of a chunky knit. Fortunately, I found a great alternative from H&M last year and it has become a staple. It’s sold out now, but here are some alternatives that are available online and in-store.
1 / 2 / 3

Parka:
Keeping with the keeping warm theme, my fluffy Topshop parka has been the perfect solution to the New England cold. I’m bringing it out again as the colder months are approaching. It’s so soft and cozy; I don’t know what I would do without it. They are an investment, but it’s worth it.
1 / 2 / 3

Fur gilet:
Winter, for me, means lots of layering, and a faux fur gilet or vest is the perfect layering piece! I am currently on the hunt for the perfect one, but I know that I could throw one on over a leather jacket or chunky sweater and be ready to go.
1 / 2 / 3