Mirror Mirror: Makeup holiday gift guide

This week, Angela gives some advice on buying makeup gifts for friends.

The holiday season is coming up, and people are scrambling to find the perfect gifts for family members and friends. Here are possible gift ideas for those who have a makeup-loving person in their life or are simply looking to pick up a present for themselves this time around.

Eyeshadow Palettes:
There is a countless amount of highly-loved eyeshadow palettes out on the market. Chances are, there’s one out there that your gift recipient doesn’t own and maybe really wants. Pick up one of the three legendary Naked Palettes by Urban Decay, or go to Ulta and purchase one of the two famous Lorac PRO Palettes. For a cheaper drugstore option, go for Maybelline’s The Nudes Palette. All three are known to have creamy, pigmented eyeshadows that are sure to impress.

Face Palettes:
If they’re not into eyeshadow so much, maybe they’d be more interested in a face product. Face palettes can be for highlighting, contouring, blush and much more. A high end product that has been praised by customers is the Ambient Lighting Palette by Hourglass. It contains three finishing powders that are designed to refine the look of one’s complexion. I have one of the three, and it is by far my favorite setting powder. Another very popular palette is Anastasia’s Contour Kit, holding six different powders for both highlighting and contouring in one slim, compact case.

All-in-one Makeup Kits:
These are for people who are starting to use makeup and need a variety to experiment with. Certain brands sell big makeup kits that unfold to contain everything you could think of. This does not guarantee the highest quality products, but it is useful for beginners. Sephora sells the Color Festival Blockbuster Palette, which is valued at over $200, for around $50.

Brush Sets:
Someone applying makeup is bound to need brushes, so brush sets are great gift ideas. Nobody wants to rub prickly, stiff bristles on their face, so make sure to test whether the brushes are soft and good quality. One well-known set is the 11 Piece Brush Collection by e.l.f. Eyes Lips Face Cosmetics (e.l.f.) is known for their cheaper prices, and this is no exception. A brush set I recently purchased for myself is the BH Cosmetics 36 pc Brush Collection, and I absolutely love it. It was very cheap for the quantity, and I find myself having a brush for every possible function. If you have the money to splurge, something that’s always been on my wishlist are Sigma’s Beauty brush sets. Though the prices aren’t so friendly, Sigma is extremely famous for the quality of their brushes.

Value Sets:
Sephora puts together value sets that center around certain functions. These contain collections of products for a cheaper cost. For example, if you have a friend who’s a lip junkie, go for the Give Me More Lip set. It includes popular lipsticks, lip glosses and numerous lip-centered makeup products. For someone who’s looking for a good mascara and wants to test out a bunch, gift them the Lashstash set.

Perfume/Cologne:
Maybe makeup isn’t exactly their thing. Perfume or cologne are perfectly acceptable presents. Personal favorite scents of mine include DKNY’s Be Delicious and Light Blue by Dolce & Gabbana, both the cologne and perfume. Obviously, the fragrance you gift would differ depending on the preference of your recipient. Figure out the kinds of scents they like (for example, fruity or floral), and make a decision based on that.

Skin-care Sets:
Skin-care products can be highly appreciated by different age groups depending on their function. Older ladies would love anti-aging products while teens could get use out of acne-preventing products. Products that have been highly raved about are the Clarisonic brushes. They are electric brushes that work to gently and thoroughly cleanse the face. Sets from Clarisonic, such as this one, are popular gifts for the holidays. Another possible idea is the Glamglow Gift Sexy set, which contains much loved mud masks that work to hydrate and moisturize the face for a more youthful complexion.