Spring sports preview

WSPN previews the upcoming spring sports season.

Boys’ Lacrosse
The previous coach of two seasons, Joel Bates, has stepped down. With the loss of the head coach and a few key seniors, the team hopes to continue to find success.

Players to watch: Jimmy Lambert (junior), Cooper Archambault (senior), Scott Carvalho (senior)

Girls’ Lacrosse
The girls’ lacrosse team had a great season last year, winning the state championship. Finishing last season with a strong record of 16-5-1, the team hopes to have another successful season.

Players to watch: Kaitlyn Haase (senior), Maddy Schwartz (senior), Taylor Frieling (senior)

Boys’ Volleyball
The boys’ volleyball team graduated no players last year, so they will be returning with a lot of experience and motivation to make it to tournament, something they haven’t accomplished in a while.

Players to watch: Andrew Straube (senior), Pierce van Mulbreght (senior)

Baseball
After a tough season last year, the baseball team is hoping to rebound with a deep tournament run. The boys will lean on their senior leadership and veteran coaching staff, led by Joe Cincotta.

Players to watch: Zack Aresty (senior), Blase Cormier (sophomore), Ben Verdi (senior)

Softball
The girls softball team hopes to have a successful season, improve their final record and gain new players.

Players to watch: Samantha Abbott (senior), Natalie Constantine (junior)

Boys’ Outdoor Track and Field
The boys’ track team is hoping to improve upon last season’s record and compete for the DCL title. Led by a strong group of seniors, the boys hope to set new personal records and send as many boys as possible to States.

Players to watch: Andy Carmichael (senior), Graham Macklin (sophomore), Eli Bucher (senior)

Girls’ Outdoor Track and Field
After graduating a strong class of seniors last spring, the girls’ track team is hoping to rebuild by welcoming new members and by leaning on returning upperclassmen. The team hopes to send more runners to States than last year.

Players to watch: Sheryl Chin (sophomore), Rosa Vitiello (sophomore), Sarah Tully (sophomore)

Boys’ Tennis
The boys’ team had an extremely successful season last year, winning the Division 2 state championship, finishing the season undefeated. With the strengths of Sharton brothers playing both first and second singles, the team hopes to have another successful season.

Players to watch: Will Sharton (senior), Charlie Sharton (sophomore)

Girls’ Tennis
The girls’ tennis team hopes to have strong season this year and make the state tournament again, after getting knocked out second round last year by Concord-Carlisle. With many returning players, the team feels as though this is possible.

Players to watch: Izzy Essi (sophomore), Jenna Salgannik (senior)

Sailing
This year is the fifth year for the sailing team at Wayland High School, and they hope to have a successful season.

Players to watch: Nick Memoli (junior), Corey Wise (senior)

Boys’ and Girls’ Crew
After a successful season, the boys’ and girls’ crew teams hope to continue their success and become stronger and faster.
Players to watch: Audrey Zizza (senior)