Martin Narciso: The art of Krav Maga

Sophomore Martin Narciso practices Krav Maga, a martial art used to train the Israeli Military. (Courtesy: Antonio Narciso)

After school, some Wayland High School students go to sports or play practice. Others head home to study. But two or three days a week, sophomore Martin Narciso drives to Malden for Krav Maga training.

Krav Maga is a martial art that was developed by Imi Lichtenfeld in the 1930s to help the Jewish community defend themselves against Nazi militia attacks. Lichtenfeld later taught his fighting system to the Israeli military. Now the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) uses it.

Narciso’s first interest in Krav Maga sprouted when he watched a show about it on the Discovery Channel. After practicing Taekwondo for four and a half years, Narciso was ready to try something new.

Narciso’s first Krav Maga experience took place while visiting family in the Philippines. Narciso’s father saw that his cousin was wearing a Krav Maga shirt and asked her about it because he knew his son would be curious. Narcisco’s cousin brought Narciso to one of her classes, and his interest was piqued.

One of the defining qualities of Krav Maga is its ability to be learned quickly and easily, which is one of the reasons it became so popular.

“After you start, [Krav Maga] keeps building and building on everything you’ve learned,” said Narciso.

Narciso enjoys Krav Maga because he can apply it to his own life.

“It teaches you how to react and take care of yourself,” said Narcisco.

Krav Maga emphasizes the importance of avoiding confrontations altogether. Narciso explained that Krav Maga is to be used only as a last resort.

“If you can run, then run,” said Narciso. “The best defense is to not get into the situation in the first place.”

During the beginning stages of Krav Maga training, students learn about “360 defense,” which is a defense all around the body that allows one to block any outside attacks.

“You use the 360 defense, defend the attack and attack simultaneously,” said Narcisco. “After, the goal is to continue attacking and move your body to follow through with attacks. Finally, you disengage and run.”

At his current level of training, Narciso would be able to fight and disarm a single person or multiple people threatening him with a knife, gun or other weapon.

Krav Maga is completely training-based and has no competitions.

“The winner in this is the one who survives the confrontation, not the one who gets to most points,” said Narciso.

$60
$1500