Nick Condry: How often do you get to be a model?

Nick Condry had the unique opportunity to work as a model in Japan. (Credit:Lizzy Worstell/WSPN)

A modeling runway show appears well-timed and organized from the outside, but behind massive curtains, some fifty people scramble to find their place. Designers struggle to tie the bootlaces of a single model just before he takes a step onto the stage while models rush behind him to change their outfits. Just one year ago, WHS junior Nick Condry was one of the models behind the curtains in this chaotic scene.

To add to the uniqueness of this experience, Condry was modeling in Japan.

It all began one night when Condry was walking through the streets of Tokyo. A stranger approached him, repeatedly asking if he “knew model.” As Condry fought the difficult language barrier, a more clear message emerged; the stranger was offering him a modeling job. Condry suspected a scam. The persistent man insisted on giving Condry his business card and persuaded Condry to give his telephone number in return.

This transaction eventually led Condry to a monthlong modeling stint that would give him an entirely unexpected experience in Japan.

Condry’s connection with Japan goes beyond a family vacation destination. His father, Ian Condry, is an Associate Professor of Japanese Cultural Studies at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Condry first traveled to Japan with his family in the summer before seventh grade. Last year, during his sophomore year, Condry spent two and a half months in Tokyo and took online classes to keep up with school.

It was during this second trip to Japan that Condry met the stranger. One month after the encounter, Condry’s father looked into the job and Condry began modeling during Japanese fashion week.

At fifteen, he was almost always the youngest model on set. The only exception he can remember was a shoot that involved a four year old girl. Most of the other models were in college and used the money to pay bills. Condry found it interesting to meet the other models.

“It was a fun experience. How often do you get to be a model?” Condry said of his unusual opportunity.

According to Condry, despite its fun moments, modeling involves ample amounts of time spent waiting. Because of this, Condry generally considered the job boring but did appreciate the pay.

Condry does not have any specific plans to return to Japan in the future, so his modeling career remains on hold.

$210
$1500