BDBN: University of Florida fires all DEI employees

Class of 2014 budgets for prom

Since last March, the class of 2014 E-Board has been planning for their prom. The prom will be held at the Hyatt Regency in Boston on Saturday, May 18, 2013, and senior Kevin Capasso will be the DJ. “I think it’s going to be great," O'Neil said. "I think it’s going to be similar to last year’s prom, but not too similar that it feels like the same event."
As the snow starts to melt and the days become longer, talk of the class of 2014’s prom has begun at Wayland High School. Prom is well known for the elaborate proposals and immense amounts of planning that come with the event each year.

This year, prom will take place on Saturday, May 18 at the Hyatt Regency in Boston, and senior Kevin Capasso will be the event’s DJ.

The class of 2014 started planning its prom around March of last year. But, most of the major details began coming into place in early January, following the holiday break. Normally, a prom committee is created to plan for the different aspects of prom, but this year’s junior class did something different.

“This year, [it’s] a group effort. We’ll go through each thing together — all the E-Board officers, all the representatives and our adviser,” class of 2014 president Josh O’Neil explained. According to O’Neil, this alternative method to prom planning has been working well.

One of the last things the E-Board will have to plan is the event’s food.

“We’re dealing with the food last because it can be dealt with last,” O’Neil said. “The food company doesn’t need to be notified until two to three weeks prior to the prom, while we have to schedule everything else a couple months in advance.”

One of the challenges the junior E-Board faced this year during planning was having less money to work with than past years.

“Usually, the two biggest junior fundraisers are the Junior-Senior Cotillion and the Cupid Cards sale, and unfortunately, one of them didn’t happen,” O’Neil said.

With fewer fundraisers than past junior classes, the class of 2014 E-Board has had to manage prom with fewer funds.

According to O’Neil, many students in the 2014 E-Board wanted to have the event held at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough but instead went with the Hyatt Regency so they could spend their money in other places.

“I think it’s going to be great,” O’Neil said. “I think it’s going to be similar to last year’s prom, but not too similar that it feels like the same event.”