Compare and Contrast: Choosing a prom tuxedo vs. prom dress

width=
A standard tuxedo is pictured above. In the months preceding prom, attendees must decide what style they'll wear at the event.

Choosing a tux

What’s the best way to pick a tuxedo for prom night? Coming from the guy who wore a collared shirt to my neighbor’s formal wedding, there are a few. With prom right around the corner, now’s the time for the gentlemen of WHS to find the right tuxedo and look our best for the big night.

After my second time renting a tuxedo for prom, I have come to a few conclusions. Prom-goers seem to fall into two categories: those who want to blend in and those who want to stand out. Which approach you take is up to personal preference, but that decision is only the first step toward getting the right tuxedo for the right price.

Before making any final decisions on your tuxedo, make sure that your date approves of your choice. Even if you are determined to get a certain kind of tuxedo, be prepared to make some compromises to adjust to what your date wants. It’s the gentlemanly thing to do.

The first thing people will notice about your tuxedo is its color. While there’s a minor obligation for guys to match at least one part of the tuxedo with the color of their date’s dress, there’s still an opportunity for them to choose some of the colors they want.

For the traditional tuxedo look, black and grey tuxedos do the trick. Remember, choosing to blend in with the masses doesn’t have to mean looking mediocre. A colored tie with a black jacket can be a great combination for guys who want to look slightly different without standing out.

For those looking to steal the spotlight, there are white jackets, pink bow ties and blue vests. Fewer people choose this option, but that’s what makes it more unique.

The second most important aspect of your tuxedo is its style. Although the main decision may be whether to pick a tie or a bowtie, there are smaller decisions to make, too. Different styles can allow even a simple black tuxedo and vest combination to look great. Tuxedo shoppers can pick different lapel sizes, tie styles, jacket pockets and jacket cuts to improve the look of a tuxedo and stand out as much or as little as desired. Finding the right style of tuxedo can provide the right balance of flash without attracting too much attention.

The great thing about picking out a tuxedo is that it allows boys to turn as many or as few heads as they want. You can choose to fit seamlessly into the crowd or be the life of the party; either way, you can have a night to remember.

Remember, clothes certainly aren’t everything. They won’t dictate how well you get along with your date or the overall success of your prom. But putting effort into finding the right tuxedo can boost confidence and help guys look special, providing a change from the daily t-shirts and shorts.

Amidst the boys’ search for the perfect tux, the ladies of WHS search tirelessly for dresses, posting their choices in a rather large facebook group to ensure no one else buys “their” dress. The guys will likely never match this level of dedication to prom fashion, but picking the cheapest tux available is a missed opportunity.

Prom is their perfect occasion to coordinate fashion and dress up for a change. Renting a tuxedo gives guys the opportunity to shine. Styles change, but tuxedos always remain classy.

Finding the right tux can help out the gentlemen of WHS as it presents a shot for boys to match with their date and take good pictures together.

More importantly, picking out a tuxedo allows boys to turn as many or as few heads as they want. For the flashy kids, there are white jackets, pink bow ties and blue vests.

For those of us who want to better fit in with the crowd this year, black and grey tuxedos do the trick. However, choosing to blend in with the masses does not have to mean looking mediocre.

Different styles can allow even a simple black tuxedo and vest combination to look great. Tuxedo shoppers can pick different lapel sizes, tie styles, jacket pockets and jacket cuts to improve the look of a tuxedo and stand out as much or as little as desired. Finding the right style of tuxedo can provide the right balance of flash without alienating oneself.

Clothes certainly aren’t everything. They won’t dictate how well you get along with your date or the success of your prom. But putting effort into finding the right tuxedo can boost confidence and help guys look special, providing a change from the daily t-shirts and shorts.

I’ll never have the dedication to fashion that many have, but I enjoy getting dressed up every now and then. Prom tuxedos are a shot to do so. Different styles offer a variety of choices, but only for those who take the time to shop. So unlike the average morning, I’m going to put some effort into how I look for prom. Tuxedo rentals offer guys an opportunity, let’s not miss out.

Choosing a dress

A lot goes into planning prom. Whether you’re finding a date, organizing transportation or choosing your table, there are many choices to be made. For girls, one of the most important choices is your dress. We’ve all heard stories of dress successes and failures, and even rumors of the infamous dress Facebook group, where girls claim their dresses. For some girls, choosing a dress can be a pretty big deal.

Girls can spend months searching for dresses, and some of them have their dresses before they even have their dates. Typically, girls visit websites (thanks, 1:1) to look at dresses and check out the latest styles. Department stores are also useful in figuring out what you want in a dress.

Once you have chosen a dress, it’s time to claim it. In my opinion, this is the weirdest part of the entire process. There is a Facebook group dedicated to claiming dresses. As soon as a girl finds a dress, they post a picture or a link to it on this group. Then, other girls “like” the post or comment on it.

Once a girl has posted and claimed her dress, that specific dress is hers. If another girl wants to wear the same dress, she has to ask the girl who posted a picture of it. I personally think this is rather stupid. I understand that people want to be unique, but I don’t think that desire should prevent people from wearing what you want to wear. I think every girl should be allowed to wear whatever dress she wants, even if someone has already “claimed” it. People want to look their best at prom and they want to wear whatever suits them. Also, if you think a particular dress is special, chances are someone else will too. I don’t think one person’s desire to be unique should prevent others from wearing a dress they love.

I think the idea of claiming a dress is bizarre, but I have to admit, I posted my dress relatively early. I didn’t find and post my dress early because I wanted to claim it, but I posted it because I wanted to get the process over with. Why? Because I liked the dress and I didn’t want to spend too much time obsessing over it. For some people, their prom dress is a big deal, but personally, as long as I like the dress, then I’m fine with it. While some girls are spending hours looking for their special dress, I chose the very first dress I tried on.

Just because I didn’t want to spend too much time looking for a dress doesn’t mean I understand why some girls do. It is definitely important to feel beautiful and confident at prom, and if you need a particular dress to feel that way, then do what you need to find it. Personally, a dress isn’t the most important part of prom for me. I don’t want to remember my prom as a stressful time. Instead of stressing out over minor details, I would rather enjoy my prom and remember it for the fun time I had instead of the style of my dress.

$210
$1500