Opinion: On Mr. Scott Parseghian

Ben Porter

Above is a picture of the Wayland High School turf. Wayland High School graduate Ben Porter writes in support of coach Scott Parseghian. "It isn’t an exaggeration to say Coach P bleeds orange and black," Porter said. (Credit: Matthew Gutschenritter / WSPN)
Matthew Gutschenritter
Above is a picture of the Wayland High School turf. Wayland High School graduate Ben Porter writes in support of assistant principal Scott Parseghian. “It isn’t an exaggeration to say Coach P bleeds orange and black,” Porter said.

There are some kids who are natural athletes, and I’m not one of them. But you’d never know it from the way Coach Scott Parseghian treated me.

In August 2011, just weeks before the start of my freshman year, I decided to play football for the first time. I sent two emails: one to Coach Sean Chase of the freshman team and one to Coach P, the varsity coach. I got two quick replies telling me when and where to be for practice.

Though there were certainly times when I felt in over my head and times when I was more benchwarmer than player, the next four years of high school football were a blessing, and one that I owe to Coach P. Coach P gave me time and mentorship that he could have easily spent on the kids who’d been playing for 10 years, the kids who showed infinitely more promise, the kids who could bring him a championship.

This is the kind of educator, the kind of man, that Mr. Scott Parseghian is: selfless. He’s the kind of guy who’ll work 18 hour days, 5 a.m. to 11 p.m., no complaints. And anyone who’s ever seen his orange and black suit knows why — the love Coach P has for Wayland, WHS and his students is not hard to find.

Never have I seen anything but complete devotion from Coach P. As senior class president I ordered a lot of shirts — never did Coach P so much as approach me about our orders, which were often worth thousands. As the State checks Mr. Parseghian’s decision to purchase through his father’s company against the letter of the law, let us remember the spirit of conflict of interest laws: to protect against embezzlement and ensure ethical allotment of resources — two standards there is no doubt Coach P has met. The shirts Coach P gave the football team were always of a superior quality and were a clear source of pride, both for the players and for Coach P.

It may be tempting to jump on any accusation thrown Coach P’s way because he is rightfully held to a higher standard and because many know Coach P only as a disciplinarian. But during his many years at WHS Coach P has not only met any and all expectations, he has exceeded them. Ask anyone who has had the honor to work beside him, whether it be in the front office, on the wrestling mats, or on the football field. I hope that the Wayland community will take the time to talk to those who dealt with Coach P, to review the character and actions (or perhaps inactions is more appropriate) of his accuser and to judge Coach P based on all his record.

I’m honored to have had Scott Parseghian as my coach, I’m proud to have him represent my school as an assistant principal, and most of all, I’m thankful for the opportunity he gave me to grow. Coach P is an exemplary educator, and to his dedication and school spirit I owe much of what I am today. As Wayland searches for a new athletic director, I can think of no better role model for the search committee to draw upon.

Ben Porter, WHS Class of 2015