Athlete of the Week: Taylor Fletcher

Credit: Natalie Hsu

Pictured above is senior Taylor Fletcher talking to one of the girls’ soccer coaches, Ed DeHoratius. Fletcher has been on the varsity team since her freshman year. “Soccer makes me feel like I’m on top of the world. I love the physical excursion, the competition and the mental toughness that it requires,” Fletcher said.

Name: Taylor Fletcher

Grade: Senior

Sport: Soccer

Achievements: Fletcher has played club soccer with the GPS Elite Renegades since 4th grade. Her club team won the MA State Cup in 2012 and 2013 along with some other tournaments. For high school soccer, Fletcher tried out and started on varsity team her freshman year, where the team made it to quarter sectionals. She won the the WHS Jim Griffin Booster Award and was named DCL All Star 2nd team by freshman year. Fletcher has also recovered from two reconstructive ACL surgeries.

Sports Idol: Fletcher’s idol is her father, who was elected captain of the Stanford volleyball team his sophomore year and was, according to Fletcher, a “key player every year”. He went on to play in nationals. “He’s had five hip surgeries, so he has truly taught me how to work hard and give sports everything I have. This was especially helpful when I had my two surgeries. He told me you only get out what you put in, so when I was told to do 15 reps, I did 20, and it has really paid off,” Fletcher said.

Favorite memory: Her favorite memory is when she sprained her ankle in the Bedford game her freshman year. Fletcher went down and was crying when her sister, the captain of the girls’ varsity soccer team, ran over to console her. Fletcher especially likes this because “it meant so much that [her sister] came over, and she was the one [Fletcher] wanted to keep playing for.”

Quote: “Soccer makes me feel like I’m on top of the world. I love the physical excursion, the competition and the mental toughness that it requires. I love being able to work so hard and see my work pay off! I also love the environment of a team, everyone working together towards a common goal and sometimes goofing off.”