Heather Hughes introduced as new assistant girls’ varsity basketball coach

Pictured+above+is+a+basketball+hoop+in+Wayland+High+Schools+field+house.+This+season%2C+the+girls+basketball+team+welcomed+Heather+Hughes+as+a+new+assistant+coach.+%E2%80%9CIt+should+be+a+great+season%2C+and+I+am+excited+to+be+a+part+of+the+WHS+coaching+staff%2C+school+and+community%2C%E2%80%9D+Hughes+said.+

Credit: Liam McNeish

Pictured above is a basketball hoop in Wayland High School’s field house. This season, the girls’ basketball team welcomed Heather Hughes as a new assistant coach. “It should be a great season, and I am excited to be a part of the WHS coaching staff, school and community,” Hughes said.

Liam McNeish, Lindsay Adelman

This season, the girls’ basketball team welcomed Heather Hughes as a new assistant coach.

Hughes formerly played basketball in high school and college. It was in college that she played with current girls’ varsity basketball head coach Amanda Cosenza at Worcester State. According to Hughes, she loved playing with Cosenza and feels privileged to get to coach with her.

Hughes shares that she likes every aspect of basketball.

“I used to love the anticipation of basketball season when I was in high school, just being around my teammates and sharing my passion for the game with them,” Hughes said. “Now as a coach, it is fun to re-live that excitement through watching the talented young girls at Wayland High School.”

Hughes explains that her relationship with Cosenza has allowed her the opportunity to coach at Wayland. Her husband, wellness teacher and freshman football coach Adam Hughes, works at WHS as well.

“It should be a great season, and I am excited to be a part of the WHS coaching staff, school and community,” Hughes said.