Events planned for Senior Week starting on May 31

Thomas Chan

The week of May 30 is known as Senior Week due to the variety of events scheduled for the graduating class. Students in the class of 2016 will participate in different events together before graduating together on June 5.

One senior activity is not part of Senior Week. This event is a breakfast hosted by the Wayland Police Department on the last day of school. This is a mandatory event, and seniors will arrive at the high school at 7 a.m.

The first two events this year are on Tuesday, May 31. Seniors will first report to the theater at 10 a.m. to view a 40-minute film “Escalation.” This movie is produced by the One Love Foundation and portrays a fictional, abusive college relationship. After viewing “Escalation,” students will participate in a 50-minute workshop comprised of small groups. This event is hosted in partnership with the Lauren Dunne Astley Memorial Fund. This event is mandatory.

The second event is Class Night, which will take place in the evening. Students will board buses at 5 p.m. in the WHS lot. Signed permission slips are required, and all bags are banned. Students will be able to dance, eat appetizers and watch the class slideshow made by Calvin Laituri. Class Night will be held at Lombardo’s in Randolph, the same venue as last year’s junior prom. Students are expected to return to the high school at 10:15 p.m.

Wednesday, June 1 is a mandatory graduation rehearsal. Those who do not attend the rehearsal will not be allowed to walk at graduation. The rehearsal starts at 10 a.m. and ends at 12 p.m. in the field house. If more time is needed, an additional rehearsal will be held the morning of June 2.

Later that day is the Boston Harbor Cruise. The buses will leave the high school at 4:45 p.m. from the student parking lot. Signed permission slips are required, and all bags are banned. On the cruise, students traditionally wear sweatshirts from the college they plan to attend. Food will also be served during the event. Students are expected to return from the cruise at 9:45 p.m.

June 2 is Senior Awards Night. Students will report to the theater at 7 p.m. in their gowns. This event functions like underclassmen award night, presenting students with scholastic awards. After the event, yearbooks will be distributed.

The final event before graduation is a Six Flags field trip on June 3. Students board buses at 5 p.m. About ten to 12 other high schools are also participating in this event. The park will be closed to the public while students enjoy rollercoasters. A barbecue dinner will be provided at the park, and buses will return to the high school at approximately 2:30 a.m.

Graduation for the class of 2016 will then occur on June 5, when seniors will receive their diplomas.

To participate in these events, the student must be a member of the class of 2016 and have zero demerits. Students can eliminate demerits by serving time in restricted study, helping custodians and outside community service. They must also pay all their dues, including food service, library, parking lot and transcript fees. Laptops and chargers must also be returned to the technology department.