BlackBerrys and briefcases: women in the media

blackberryIn recent years, the empowerment of women in the media has been explosive. In music and on television, women seem to have replaced their stiletto heels with briefcases. Instead of gossiping into cell phones, they are on their BlackBerrys making the next big business deals.

This improvement in the image of women has been a long time coming. The image of women was once trapped as the 1950’s, pie-baking, perpetually smiling, at-home mother. “Leave it to Beaver,” a show that ran from 1957 to 1963, embodied women who cared little about anything besides cooking, cleaning, and caring for her husband and children.

The recent release of singer Ne-Yo’s “Miss Independent” has drawn attention to the strength and attractiveness of autonomous women. It is no surprise that this change has been viewed with enthusiasm.

This decade especially, female singers have been working to assert themselves as strong individuals. In 2001, Destiny’s Child released a CD titled “Survivor.” In each song, Destiny’s Child’s pride, confidence, and independence are evident. These women sing about their right and ability to get what they want and deserve, whether it be love or an opportunity.

Beyoncé, a former member of Destiny’s Child, released the song “Irreplaceable” in 2006, singing that her man would never find another woman like her. Her song shows her strength and ability to kick her man to the curb.

This revolution isn’t only in music; it has diffused into television programs as well. On the ABC series, “Desperate Housewives,” which has been running since the fall of 2004, the character Lynette Scavo recently restarted her powerful career to provide for her family, while her husband stays at home. She had previously been an “at-home mom” so that her husband could live out his dreams, but the roles were reversed. The twice-divorced Susan Maye also takes a job as an art teacher at a prestigious preparatory school.

On another ABC program, “Private Practice,” Dr. Violet Turner approaches relationships in a non-traditional way. She has relationships with two men at once, which she claims is “dating like a man.” This businesswoman’s life runs contrary to the former image of women. All these shows glorify lifestyles of women who are independent of monogamy, of male superiority and of their husband’s wallets.

Is this image transformation due to the current strength women are showing in society? Things have changed since the 1950’s and 60’s. In 1967, fewer than 20% of US women were enrolled in college, compared to over 30% of men. In 2005, 40% of women were enrolled, more than doubling the rates of the 1960’s. The percent of men remained nearly the same. (U.S Census Bureau)

The current Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton had a near shot at the Presidency in the 2008 elections. This was a true step, a testament to the progress women have made. Maybe this change in image is merely overdue. Whatever the reason, women in the media are declaring their rights and showing that they too can accomplish and achieve. Either way, this change is empowering, and gives women everywhere the inspiration to be successful and independent.

Sources:
http://www.prb.org/Articles/2007/
CrossoverinFemaleMaleCollegeEnrollmentRates.aspx