Greek poet to read at WHS

bookimageShe hails from Greece, is one of Greece’s best-known and most beloved poets, and is a beloved honorary member of the Wayland High School community.  Dr. Stone calls her, “brilliant, endearing, charismatic, and open-hearted.”  He has known her for over twenty-five years, and has collaborated with her on several translations and poetry readings in Greece and the United States.

Her name is Katerina Anghelaki-Rooke, and at the invitation of Columbia University, Harvard University, the Greek Consulates in New York and Boston, and the Hellenic Student Association of MIT she will be sharing her poems and her thoughts about poetry and translation to her fans in New York City, Boston and Wayland.

Anghelaki-Rooke will read from her most recent collection of poems, “The Scattered Papers of Penelope,” edited by Karen Van Duke and published by GrayWolf Press. She will come to do a reading at Wayland High School on October 20, which many juniors and seniors will attend. Faculty, and parents and the community have all been invited. Harvard classics Professor Dr. Vassiliki Raptis will also be present.

There will be a related mini seminar on October 8 attended by students, parents, and faculty of WHS to discuss Ms. Anghelaki-Rooke’s poetry, after which members will create a response to a poem in the book.  Dr. Stone “envisions poems, comments and artwork.”  The first copy of the project will be presented to Ms. Anghelaki-Rooke as a token of our appreciation.

Through Dr. Stone, Anghelaki-Rooke has strong ties to Wayland High. “She has been a resource for the Wayland Study in Greece program which has been running for four years,” explained Dr. Stone.

Dr. Stone says, “Katerina has an unique style,”  and that her poems are “bold, earthy, reflective and passionate.”
Both the workshop and the presentation will be filmed by WayCam.