Warrior Weekly: We ate the cup

(Credit: Evan Barber/WSPN)

It was Friday, I had just lost a round of soccer-golf by a few strokes and a three day weekend was ahead. So what did six of my friends and I decide to do? Eat a Vermonster.

It’s something we had joked about since the start of the season; it would be a team bonding experience.

We’d seen all over Facebook that Window, the dance crew, did it last spring, and we thought we could tame the beast as well. We knew it was no easy feat, and all of us, including some random kid we met at Ben and Jerry’s who took a bite, played a part.

For those who don’t know what a Vermonster is, it’s twenty scoops of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream, plus in our case, whipped cream, Reese’s pieces, Reese’s cups, chocolate, nuts, cookies, brownies, and the controversial bananas. It was a daunting task, but we came prepared. We had experience on our side.

The veteran of our crew was a part of Window and was the only one of us who’d conquered a Vermonster before. If you consider veteran leadership as saying it’s a dumb idea and you don’t really know what you’re getting yourselves into, then Matt did just that. We needed him to help out rookies like myself. He was past his prime, but like many greats, he displayed leadership.

Speaking of rookies, myself, Joe, Nico and Dan all did our part and tried to eat as much as we could, but there were two other key teammates to our victory and without them, I don’t think we would have finished.

Our vocal team leader Dougie Curtin led by example and is my pick for MVP. Curtin picked up the slack for the ones who didn’t meet their quota and kept on trucking, sacrificing the cleanliness of his plain white tee. Without his leadership, this adventure would have been a failure.

When the end was in sight, Evan was called in to close. Although it was maybe the toughest job, he made it look easy, and the Vermonster was no more.

Treating it like the Stanley Cup, we broke into chants of “We ate the cup” in a full Ben and Jerry’s. The chant continued into the parking lot as we got into our cars for our victory parade.

There was no feeling the sense of accomplishment of finishing the Vermonster, or maybe it was just the ice cream settling in my stomach.

Now for an update on the Warriors..

Girls Volleyball: There are only seven games left for the girls, and they aren’t in a spot they want to be. However, this year’s team has notched two wins, and next fall, the team will return with a strong core.

Football: Football saw their two game win streak come to an end after losing to Acton-Boxborough on Thursday. Finally, the Warriors are back home to face off against Lincoln-Sudbury.

Girls Soccer: Like volleyball, the girls aren’t where they want to be, but they’re only half way through the season, so there is room to improve. The girls still have to play all the DCL Small opponents again, which will have huge playoff implications.

Boys Soccer: We certainly aren’t where we thought we’d be halfway through the year, sitting at 4-4-3, but with a whole week off to work and improve, we’re gearing up for a strong finish to the season.

Field Hockey: This team has continued their hot streak, and they sit at 8-2-1 with five games left. Their next game is against Weston, and a first place title in the DCL Small is on the line.

As always, stay up to date with Warrior Scores.