Warrior Weekly: The End

width="470"
This week, Harry discusses the end of the Warriors season. He turns to exploring the success of Boston teams over the years.
[/caption]

Well, we made it to the end of the 2012-2013 Wayland Warrior sports season. First, I would like to congratulate the boys and girls crew teams. Over the weekend, the girls placed second at nationals, which makes them second in America. That is a huge accomplishment. The boys placed 10th. Congratulations to all of the coaches and rowers.

Now, since the Wayland sports season is over, I thought I would share some thoughts on professional sports that were stuck in my head. On Friday night the Bruins beat the Penguins to make it to the finals. After their win I couldn’t help but think about how often since the year 2000 one of the Boston big four sports teams (baseball, football, basketball, hockey) has made it to the championship, and how lucky we are as sports fans.

Since 2001, every one of the Boston sports teams has made it to the finals at least twice. The Red Sox in 2004 and 2007. The Patriots in 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007 and 2012. The Bruins in 2011 and 2013. The Celtics in 2008 and 2010. That would add up to 11 times a Boston sports team has made it to the finals since 2001.

In comparison, the entire state of New York (including the Jets and Giants), has only made the finals four times. The Giants twice and the Yankees twice. New York has seven professional (I will not count the Nets who just moved to Brooklyn this past year) sports teams, an extra three to Boston’s four.

I did some research to figure out if any city comes close to our 11 appearances. Los Angeles did a pretty good job; the Lakers made the finals four times since 2001 and the Kings made it once.

Another successful city is Detroit. The Tigers have made it to the World Series twice since 2001, Red Wings have made it to the Stanley Cup three times, and the Pistons made it to the finals twice. That is pretty good for a city that has always been associated with losing.

I came to the conclusions that there just isn’t a city that has had complete dominance over the past decade like Boston has. As sports fans we should all appreciate how lucky we are to experience this.

Keep in mind that before 2001 the Patriots never won anything, the Red Sox were in the middle of an 86 year long curse, the Bruins were in the middle of a 39 year drought, and the Celtics were in the middle 21 years with no title. It is amazing to think that all four of our teams can now be so competitive each year.

So cherish this winning while you can. You never know when it could all just disappear. Tom Brady will not stay around forever. The Celtics look like a team that is getting ready to rebuild, and you never know with the Red Sox, who only won 69 games last season (although they have the third best record in the MLB).

But for now, let’s go B’s!

One last thought. This wouldn’t be a good blog post unless I did a little bit of self advertising. In one of my blogs a few months ago (March 18th to be exact) I made the following prediction: “Tim Tebow will eventually be a Patriot. I am not putting a time stamp on this one. Both Belichick and offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels love Tebow. They also love versatile players. It’s only a matter of time before he comes here.”

Well guess what? I hit this one on the head. Tim Tebow is a Patriot. So to all of you people who doubt my prediction making abilities, there is a perfect example of how right I can be.

“We want to win, we have to win, we will win.”
-David Krecji