Athlete of the Week: Hannah Roberge

Above is sophomore Hannah Roberge skiing in a race. Roberge is a key skier on the WHS Alpine Ski team. “This sport has given me much needed confidence,” Roberge said.

Isabel Gitten

Name: Hannah Roberge

Grade: Sophomore

Sport: Alpine Skiing

Accomplishments: Roberge has been on the Loon Mountain alpine ski race team since 2007. She has qualified for New Hampshire youth states twice, once in 2010 and once in 2012. As a freshman on the Wayland High School race team, Roberge came in ninth and sixth place in the girls’ slalom races. She was an alternate on the WHS race team at the MIAA state champions race last year. So far in her sophomore WHS season, Roberge has come in seventh in the giant slalom race at Nashoba Valley. She placed in the top ten for all races with the WHS ski team. Roberge came in first for New Hampshire high school states for both giant slalom and slalom last year. In 2013, Roberge came in fifth in a modified downhill super-g race with Loon Mountain.

Sports Idol: Roberge’s sports idol is alpine skier Lindsey Vonn because of her achievements in skiing and how she has overcome adversity. “Lindsey Vonn is one of the leading women of ski racing who inspires me and other girls like myself to push the limits and work hard to conquer the unexpected,” Roberge said.

Favorite Memory: Roberge’s favorite skiing memory was when she first made New Hampshire states in 2010. After all of her hard work, she was excited to finally see it pay off. This was when Roberge realized that she had a community of people to support her skiing. Qualifying for New Hampshire states was a turning point in Roberge’s skiing career. “This was the moment that I realized I wanted to keep skiing because before this, I was thinking of quitting ski racing,” Roberge said.

Quote: “Skiing is challenging sometimes because it’s just you and the hill and you have to stay focused and stay in the right mindset. However, that is one of my favorite parts of racing because being alone helps you find out more about yourself. This sport has given me much needed confidence.”