• June 12Boys' tennis and girls' tennis win MIAA State Championship

• June 12Boys' volleyball falls to Westfield in MIAA Division I Finals

• June 12Wayland-Weston Crew's lightweight 4+ places sixth at USRowing Nationals

Addison Antico: Having this sign makes me thank our Founding Fathers for creating the First Amendment

Pictured is sophomore Addison Antico in front  of the Trump sign. His family built a 14 by 48 foot sign in support of the Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump.

Pictured is sophomore Addison Antico in front of the Trump sign. His family built a 14 by 48 foot sign in support of the Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump. "We mind our own business, and we are never disrespectful towards someone who is voting for someone else,” Antico said.

Credit: Courtesy of Addison Antico

Credit: Courtesy of Addison Antico

Wayland residents drive by sophomore Addison Antico’s yard, each glaring at the campaign sign displayed. The bright lights shine into the four corners intersection, reflecting off the 14 by 48 foot purple sign that reads “Trump” in thick white letters in support of the Republican presidential front runner Donald Trump.

According to Antico, Wayland has a lot of Bernie Sanders campaign signs throughout the town. He and his Dad wanted to show their support for Trump with a sign, but because their house is not located on a main road, they decided to make a bigger one that could be seen from farther away.

The Antico family spent nine hours building the sign. It was finished on March 19. Antico shares that despite their hard work, many Wayland residents criticized it.

Pictured is the sign lit up at night.

Credit: Courtesy of Addison Antico
Pictured is the sign lit up at night.

“These people in Wayland want to destroy my sign. They think it’s ridiculous,” Antico said. “I don’t support Bernie; [that] doesn’t mean I’ll destroy [one of their signs].”

A Wayland resident filed a complaint to the town about the sign because they wanted it removed; however, the building commissioner is allowing the Anticos to keep their sign up.

“The feedback I get from people truly doesn’t bother my family or me. We mind our own business, and we are never disrespectful towards someone who is voting for someone else,” Antico said.

Antico explains that he is appreciative for his family’s banner. It reminds him he has the freedom of speech.

“I absolutely love the sign,” Antico said. “Having this sign makes me thank our Founding Fathers for creating the First Amendment.”

Antico’s sign has received national attention. Trump recognized the banner on his Facebook page, posting a video of its construction with a caption that reads, “WOW! Thank you for your support- this just might be the largest residential campaign sign of 2016! We will MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!”

“That was really amazing to see,” Antico said.

As of right now, the Antico family hopes the sign will show their support for Trump in the race, and they plan on taking the sign down after Trump’s campaign is over.

14 Comments

14 Responses to “Addison Antico: Having this sign makes me thank our Founding Fathers for creating the First Amendment”

1. Voice of Logic on April 26th, 2016 8:51 PM

This individual only supports Trump because he wishes to attract attention.

[Reply]

andrew jackson Reply:

Bravo to him! Freedom of speech was created for this very purpose, so that people could attract the attentions of others with their opinions.

[Reply]

no Reply:

But Trump’s sole purpose is to squander said rights — In addition, Trump wants to overlook the 14th, shows the gravity (/lack thereof) of amendments to him meaning either he doesn’t actually care OR only when it bends in his favor.

[Reply]

2. Concerned Grad on April 26th, 2016 10:26 PM

I must say, I am concerned that this is the second article WSPN has done centered around Antico’s views about that windbag. It is especially troubling considering Addison Antico is a member of WSPN (has she heard of the term conflict of interest?). You can do better than articles like this – maybe try exploring how Trump’s policies would effect the Latin@ population at WHS, or look at the political divide in Wayland. Have some students drive around and see where the Bernie, Hillary, Cruz, Kasich and Trump signs are, and compare – is North Wayland voting Bernie or Hillary? Is South Wayland voting Kasich or Trump? Why might that be?

How nice that the Anticos see it as an expression of their freedom of speech with this horrendous display of ignorance. Call it what it is: attention seeking and shameful.

[Reply]

Anonymous Reply:

Addison Antico is not a member of WSPN.

[Reply]

3. WSPN on April 28th, 2016 1:13 PM

We would like to clarify that Addison Antico is not a part of the WSPN staff.

[Reply]

Concerned Grad Reply:

I stand corrected and as a good example of why you should fact-check yourself!

[Reply]

4. Sick of this on April 29th, 2016 9:44 AM

There are blatant lies in this article. They claim that they are never disrespectful to people voting for other candidates, yet go check out the video Addison Antico’s mother posted on youtube of the sign building. In the comments she replies to a critic of the sign by saying “You’d rather have that rat who left those poor guys to die in Benghazi. Maybe you should’ve been there left to die.” This is obviously disrespectful and borderline offensive. I’m sick of seeing this cry for attention reported on.

[Reply]

5. Sick of this on April 29th, 2016 9:48 AM

I also want to point out that on Addison Antico’s mothers youtube channel, she posted the same video of the trump sign not once, but twice but under two different names. Why? Obviously because it is just for more views and more attention. Stop shining a light on something that doesn’t deserve it.

[Reply]

6. Guy who dislikes Trump on May 15th, 2016 8:50 AM

Trump has absolutely no respect for other presidential candidates and the entire country right below the one he lives in. So when a supporter of his such as Antico says that others are being disrespectful to Trump’s campaign, I laugh my freaking head off.

[Reply]

7. Deshenng on October 27th, 2016 9:13 PM

Antico, I respect and support your right iof speech. I know lots of idealism and political correctness can do more harm than good if they do not consider real life factors. We want true equality not in our appearance or superficial but heart and dignity that can match our deeds not our face. Look at what are going on around us and the world. Let common sense lead our heart not ideas on sand.

[Reply]

8. Susan Walsh on October 29th, 2016 9:43 AM

I respect Addison and the Antico’s family for their bravery in supporting Trump knowing that ignorant people will make unkind comments as the people in this article that use names like the “Voice of Logic”? And “Guy who dislikes trump”, etc. Those people made comments without their real name – why? Antico, you are to be admired – don’t let them get you down. After all – look at the big news that came out yesterday 10/29/16 about the FBI re-opening the Clinton email investigation – for those of you that may not like Trump, think about the dishonesty that surrounds the Clinton and image Bill Clinton being back in the White House! Young people might not know much about Bill Clinton and why he was impeached – is this going to be a repeat if the FBI Investigation brings up something that exposes “bad judgement” or something larger.

Here’s Wikipedia info on the Bill Clinton impeachment https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_of_Bill_Clinton – I’m more concerned about him back in the White House than Hilary and all her issues.

[Reply]

9. mushroom marlene on October 29th, 2016 3:43 PM

Too bad the majority of these comments are hateful and negative. If the zoning commission gave it a pass, why is there still controversy? SIZE or CONTENT; and would it have been the same if it was a different candidate? This community is not a very good example of teaching/practicing tolerance or having a meaningful discussion on this very polarized topic.
    Shame on you.

[Reply]

10. Guy who is ashamed of America on November 17th, 2016 3:44 PM

Well, Trump won hope your happy. I’m moving to Canada.

[Reply]

• Addison Antico: Having this sign makes me thank our Founding Fathers for creating the First Amendment

Year in Review: 2016-2017

WSPN interviews some of WHS’ most fashionable students

Nathan Zhao wins Freedom Prize Essay Contest

2016-2017 Year in Review: Sports

Examining WHS’ recent surge in LGBTQ activism

Class of 2017’s collegiate athletes: Player Profiles

Class of 2017’s collegiate athletes

Class of 2017’s collegiate athletes

Opinion: The inaccessibility of SAT help hurts lower income students

Opinion: 13 Reasons Why I Don’t Recommend Watching 13 Reasons Why