Helping out the environment

You may have noticed that during the past few weeks, biology students have been running bake sales, adopting animals and doing other good deeds in the name of the environment. Here are few eco-friendly messages, brought to you by Oliver Levin, Elena Drews, Cassidy Way, and Lauren Obermiller:

Save the Rainforest:
There are many alternatives to Google, but did you know that some search engines will donate a portion of the advertising money to the charity of your choice? Goodsearch.com is one of these sites. Wayland High School could raise $22,300 if people used it for a year rather than Google. Each search donates about $.01. This may not sound like a lot, but we search so many things that it adds up. We request that if you do decide to use this site, you type in the charity “Rainforest 2 Reef,” to raise money that will go towards saving the rainforest and its many inhabitants, as well as the coral reefs.

Act for Elephants:
The elephant population is decreasing rapidly. By 2019 the elephants could be considered endangered. Both species of the elephant, African and Asian, are being killed every day by poachers. This illegal but highly profitable activity has become more and more popular due to the massive ivory tusks that weigh up to three hundred pounds. Last year the poaching industry increased when the price of ivory per pound was over two hundred dollars. In order to obtain the tusks, the poachers often surround the elephant, tranquilize it, and then kill it.

You as a Wayland High School student can do something about it. For those of you who donated to our elephant fund, thank you very much. We were able to save both an elephant and a rhino from being poached. But a new opportunity has arisen. Another biology group is selling wristbands for only $1. The wristband reads “Save The Elephants,” and will be sold all of this week, so bring a dollar and help save an elephant.