Improving Cleanliness

November 19, 2018

The second big goal of the administration’s new regulations is to improve general cleanliness at WHS. Every rule contributes to addressing the issue of grit and grime around the school, and the administration is eager to help solve a problem that has gripped WHS’ custodial staff for years.

One big cleanliness issue concerns the grates at every doorway that are designed to pick up the trud off of students’ shoes so they don’t slip and fall.

“[While cleaning, custodians] pulled up the metal grates and they were just covered with a lot of stuff that was just not supposed to be there,” Mizoguchi said.

Mizoguchi hopes that the second rule, which prohibits students from bringing lunches into the academic building, will help alleviate the amount of food that falls into the grates. Other cleanliness issues Mizoguchi cited included expensive coffee stains on the media center carpet and an increased presence of rats, mice and ants. Based on the survey, only 12 percent of students have seen any of such critters around the school.

The issue of uncleanliness at WHS culminated during the summer, when custodial staff had the free reign to cleanse certain foundations of the school – like the grates – without being interrupted by students and faculty.

“There had been increased concerns [of uncleanliness] throughout the year, but then during the summer it just becomes so clear that we can do better as far as the upkeep of our building goes,” Mizoguchi said.