“Nightmare” by Halsey

June 21, 2019

American singer and songwriter Halsey has only recently come to my attention. Personally, I feel like she might be one of those celebrities that people don’t realize they’ve heard of. For example, if somebody had said her name, I wouldn’t know who they were talking about – yet, if one of her songs came on the radio, I’d be able to sing along with gusto.

Halsey is best known for her albums “BADLANDS” and “Hopeless Fountain Kingdom,” which contained past hits such as “Now or Never,” “Colors,” “Bad at Love” and “New Americana.” But recently, Halsey has produced a string of singles that are becoming wildly popular.

This new bout of chart-topping singles started with “Eastside” on July 12, 2018 and was followed by “Without Me” on October 4. Then came “11 Minutes” on February 14, 2019. Her most recent release, however, is my favorite, a song called “Nightmare,” which came out just a few weeks ago, on May 17.

These singles address a wide range of topics. “Eastside” is a collaboration with Khalid that is about a past romance, while “Without Me” is about an ex-flame moving on after a breakup. On a similar note, “11 Minutes” featuring Yungblud is about having relationship problems. But, on a completely different note,“Nightmare,” which is about wreaking havoc in your life, manages to be both an extremely catchy pop song and a deep confession about how people act on the inside.

Before “Nightmare” starts, Halsey includes a new type of intro, one that seems to be becoming extremely popular in new music,  featuring somebody who is not the singer of the song doing one of the following things: saying something inspirational, reciting a famous quote or giving advice. Then, soon after they’re done, the bass drops, the rhythm kicks in, and the song starts. In “Nightmare,” a short poem is read before the song starts. This new style of starting songs is becoming more common with every new release, and I think that if Halsey continues to start her songs like this, it will add a lot of character to her music.

Since all of the singles that Halsey has released over the last year have been booming successes, it’s hard for me to understand why I hadn’t heard of her until recently. But now that I have, I will be on the lookout for her next new single, which, if they follow by the example of her other singles, will be sure to make the top charts.