“World War Joy” by The Chainsmokers

June 21, 2019

I’ll be honest – when I first heard that The Chainsmokers had released a new album, my first reaction was, “Really? Again?”

And this is not to say that I don’t like their music, because I do. The only reason I feel this way is because their last album, “Sick Boy,” dropped on December 14 of last year, only five months ago. And, to be frank, when musicians drop new music just months after their last release, it confuses me.

When The Chainsmokers released their new album, “World War Joy,” on May 31, just months after they released “Sick Boy,” it made me wonder why it took them only five months, while other artists take years to complete this same exact task. For example, Adele released her first studio album “19” in 2008 and her most recent one seven years later. “25” was the harbinger of the song “Hello,” which nobody would stop singing for the entire year of 2015. Just like Adele, The Chainsmokers have been releasing music for several years, having released their first single in 2012 and their most recent album just last week. And I will never understand why, in the same timeframe, The Chainsmokers have released so many more albums.

Although “World War Joy” only contains four songs, they are all bound to be chart-topping hits. First on the line up is “Call You Mine,” a collaboration with Bebe Rexha — who, if you aren’t familiar with her work, is probably most famous for her collaboration with Florida Georgia Line, entitled “Meant To Be,” which was extremely popular during the summer of 2018. Next comes “Do You Mean” featuring Ty Dolla $ign and büllow, which is about being truthful and honoring your word. This song is followed by “Kill You Slowly,” the only tune on the album that doesn’t feature another artist. This song encourages listeners to persevere even though something might feel like a slow death march, or as they say in the song, “even though it kills you slowly.” The last song, “Who Do You Love” featuring 5 Seconds of Summer, is about wanting to know if you’re being cheated on, and, because it’s super catchy, this song is bound to be a contender for song of the summer.

Overall, I really like “World War Joy,” and I think it and specifically the songs “Call You Mine” and “Who Do You Love” will do really well.