Driver's license does not necessarily mean freedom

Driving. One of the most anticipated privileges that one receives. Once you acquire your permit, you must endure the grueling process of fulfilling the requirements for your license: thirty hours of driver’s ed, twelve hours of driving with an instructor, six observing and the worst, forty hours driving with a parent. Then, after you pass the test, you have reached the promised land. No longer do you need your mom to stop what she’s doing to take you to Jimmy’s house. Now whenever you want, you can go whereever you want…. Or can you?

Even though you have finished all of the requirements, you still have legal and financial restrictions. The first and probably highest hurdle young drivers face is parental restriction. As if it is not infuriating enough to drive with parents, they often make up rules for when they are not in the car. It’s as if you have learned to ride a bike but the training wheels haven’t quite come off. Junior Mellisa Yu said that even though her parents allow her to have her own car and pay for her gas, they still have rules and restrictions. “I have to tell them where I am going before I go out, and I have to make sure I know exactly where I’m going and how to get there.” She also said her parents still correct her driving when they are in the car with her. When asked if her parents had made any unfair rules, Yu replied, “My mom told me that she wants to go in the car with me before I go anywhere new the first time. So, that basically means I don’t have my own car the first time I go anywhere new.” This rule is similar to those put on many students by their parents. Berin Senné said, “They don’t let me go on the highway….. I have waited this long to get my license, I should be able to go where I want.” The question remains: When do you finally have no restrictions? Many people say that the restrictions are off when you get your license, but these students would say otherwise.

$210
$1500