ICYMI: Week of June 8- freshman founds organization, walking marathons, admitting ignorance

Credit: Nat Hsu

Taylor McGuire

In the weekly series, “In Case You Missed It,” News Editor Taylor McGuire summarizes stories from the past week with links to the corresponding WSPN article.

News:

WSPN’s Josh Schreiber wrote about Team UKAPS, an organization founded by Wayland High School freshman Maya Lee. Editor Taylor McGuire wrote a news brief on the march that occurred to raise awareness for Black Lives Matter, and Editor-in-Chief Meredith Prince briefed the yearbook pickup process.

Features:

McGuire made a quiz allowing people to find out where they should travel after travel restrictions from COVID-19 are lifted. Meanwhile, editor Katherine Kim discussed Lady Gaga’s Born This Way Foundation and the things they do to help others.

WSPN’s Caterina Tomassini and Remmi Shaw reported WHS students who were walking a marathon to raise money for Happy Hollow teacher Mike O’Connor, who is suffering from a form of brain cancer.

Sports:

Schreiber, along with WSPN’s Garrett Spooner and reporter Charlie Moore published their fifth episode of “Rounding the Bases,” where they discuss whether they believe there will be an MLB season or not.

A&E:

Editor Alyssa Dickstein interviewed fine arts teacher Aiden O’Hara on WHSTE’s first annual Thespian Night and also included the recording of Thespian Night for those who missed it. Dickstein also worked with Tomassini to dive into COVID-19’s effect on the television industry.

Opinion:

Tomassini shared her opinion on why admitting ignorance is the smartest thing a person can do

“In any case, if a journalist already knows the answers to all the questions, what would their job be,” Tomassini said. “So, please, for the love of journalism, admit ignorance.”