Opinion: Student-teacher gift giving is more important than ever before

With the holidays around the corner, many students are handing out gifts to their teachers this holiday season. WSPN’s Emily Roberge analyzes why gift giving this year is even more important amidst educators hard work during the pandemic.

Credit: Emily Roberge

With the holidays around the corner, many students are handing out gifts to their teachers this holiday season. WSPN’s Emily Roberge analyzes why gift giving this year is even more important amidst educators’ hard work during the pandemic.

With holidays around the corner, many students normally hand out gifts to their teachers. However, there is no doubt that this year has been unlike any other. With this being said, it is important to reward WHS staff for their hard work, especially during these difficult times.

Teachers are constantly shifting their teaching methods because of the ever-changing situation of the pandemic. Whether it is teaching new material on Zoom or running a class that is half in-person and half remote, this is a completely new model of teaching at WHS. In fact, this is the most important year for WHS students to share their gratitude for all the faculty this holiday season.

Of course, COVID-19 concerns may prevent handing out certain baked goods, but there are many other ways for students to give thanks. Some examples may be small gift cards to local businesses, friendly emails to your teachers or hand-made cards thanking them. No matter how small the gift is, they will definitely be appreciative of a kind gesture.

Throughout this year, we have come to realize the importance of educators in our lives. Last spring, without a concrete plan, school seemed very chaotic. At the beginning of COVID-19, teachers weren’t prepared to carry out remote learning, so it was difficult for teachers to teach like they do in class. Despite this, WHS teachers worked their hardest to ensure that the curriculum was still being taught. Now, a quarter of the way through this school year, educators have adapted to this new way of teaching, making sure everything runs smoothly.

It may seem cheesy, but educators really are heroes. Even if they assign students with many tests or assignments, they do their best to help them grow as learners. Teachers deserve recognition this holiday season for their contributions this school year.

We are all guilty of forgetting that adults at WHS have lives outside of school. We forget that they have their families at home and personal commitments or hobbies outside of the classroom. Not only do educators have to juggle the uncertainties of a hybrid model, going day-by-day with their lesson plans, but they too have to deal with the challenges that COVID-19 brings. A small holiday gift would definitely alleviate stress.

Like everyone on the frontlines battling this virus, educators constantly put their health at risk every week to be in their classrooms. No teacher wants to get sick with COVID-19 or wants to only see their students twice a week rather than the normal rotation. However, WHS teachers come to school because they care deeply about their students.

With this in mind: please consider giving teachers holiday gifts this year. It does not have to be extravagant or expensive at all. Simple gestures like writing heartfelt messages to teachers or giving them a simple gift will make them feel as if all their work is worth it.

Of course, not everyone will be able to give their teachers holiday gifts this year. If so, make sure to thank educators by writing a simple card or saying thank you for their diligent efforts!