Who says freshmen don't have spirit?

Who says freshmen don't have spirit?

Well, this Wednesday is Spirit Day. That’s when we all compete in random games for a big cup. Why? Let’s face it, trying to teach 20 minute classes the day before a 4 day break is like trying to digest school lunches: you can do it, but it’s not worth the effort.

Spirit Day is a good idea in theory, but there are a few problems that I’m sure the people who came up with it didn’t fully consider. For one, Spirit Day is like football. The testosterone levels are off the charts. People get so pumped over these things that I’m sure there will be a few who, at least ten times throughout the day, will have no qualms about taking another life, preferably that of the opposition.

Looking at the Middle School, I can already see that the High School’s Spirit Day is a lot different. In the Middle School it was all about doing something you normally wouldn’t be encouraged to do, like how my homeroom once had an who-can-roll-backwards-in-a-swivel-chair-across-the-gym-faster contest against an enemy homeroom.

Speaking of, there’s another way Spirit Day is a lot like football. Suddenly, your best friend becomes your worst enemy. All the logic goes straight out the window. It doesn’t matter how close the two of you were before. He’s in the enemy homeroom, therefore he must be destroyed.

The competition seems to consume some students. All you hear from them is “We’re taking you down, we’re taking you down!” Jeez, I’ve seen more independent thought from those people who get hypnotized on TV.

Football, too, is all about spirit. So how come each homeroom doesn’t get a band and cheerleaders?

Don’t get the wrong idea about me. I like Spirit Day, but as I no doubt have mentioned countless times by now, if I like it, I’m gonna mock it.

Tune in for a new blog next week,

Andy

$210
$1500