Duncan+Stephenson+previews+the+CFB+Playoff+semifinal+matchups+between+Alabama+and+Clemson%2C+and+Georgia+and+Oklahoma.+

Credit: Courtesy of Peter Moore

Duncan Stephenson previews the CFB Playoff semifinal matchups between Alabama and Clemson, and Georgia and Oklahoma.

CFB Playoff: Rose and Sugar Bowls

Rose Bowl: (3) Georgia Bulldogs vs. (2) Oklahoma Sooners

Line: Georgia (-1.0)
Date: Monday, Jan. 1, 2018
Time: 5:00 p.m.
TV: ESPN
Venue: Rose Bowl, Pasadena, CA

Oklahoma (12-1)
Best Player: Quarterback Baker Mayfield

The Sooners offense is simply a joy to watch. It features the best player in the country at quarterback, has three capable ball carriers, and seven starting-caliber receivers. Oh, not to mention and elite offensive line anchored by left tackle Orlando Brown, the best blindside protector in the country. They’ve been held under 30 points just once, and have scored over 40 nine times. One does not hope to stop Oklahoma’s high-powered attack, but to slow it down. Quarterback Baker Mayfield has put together an amazing season to cap his legendary career. His top targets have been tight end Mark Andrews, and wide receivers Marquise “Hollywood” Brown and CeeDee Lamb. After losing their top two running backs from 2016, the Sooners have gotten outstanding production from Rodney Anderson, who has accounted for over 1,200 yards of total offense and 16 TDs. Trey Sermon and Abdul Adams have also been productive on the ground. Defensively, Oklahoma is lead by defensive end Ogbonnia Okoronkwo. Okoronkwo has logged 17 tackles for loss this year, as well as 8 sacks. The Sooners defense has been solid in 2017, usually not needing to win games for their team.

Georgia Bulldogs (12-1)
Best Player: Linebacker Roquan Smith

After getting blown out by Auburn late in the regular season, many people, including myself, wrote off the Bulldogs as a playoff contender. Kirby Smart rallied his team following that defeat and his team avenged their only loss in the SEC Championship game, thoroughly outplaying Auburn and winning 28-7. This team plays old-fashioned football. They pound the ball with the dynamic-duo of Nick Chubb and Sony Michel at running back, and sport an athletic, physical defense lead by linebacker Roquan Smith. True freshman quarterback Jake Fromm has proven to be a pleasant surprise (21 TDs and 5 INTs), but has limitations throwing the ball downfield. On defense, Smith is a monster (113 tackles, 11 tackles for loss). Linebacker Lorenzo Carter and defensive linemen Trenton Thompson are also standout defenders for the Bulldogs.

The game will be decided by….

Whether or not Oklahoma is able to stop Georgia’s ground attack. The Bulldogs have averaged over 260 rushing yards per game (5.8 per carry) in 2017. That gives them the ability to shorten the game, and control the clock. How do you slow down Baker Mayfield? Keep him off the field. If Georgia has their way on the ground, they’ll be able to limit the number of possessions Oklahoma has on offense. The Sooners’ front seven must have a big day if Oklahoma is to advance.

Prediction: Georgia 31, Oklahoma 30

Sugar Bowl: (4) Alabama Crimson Tide vs. (1) Clemson Tigers

Line: Alabama (-2.0)
Date: Monday, January 1st, 2018
Time: 8:45 p.m.
TV: ESPN
Venue: Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans, LA

Clemson (12-1)
Best Player: Defensive lineman Christian Wilkins

A season ago, when Clemson knocked off the top-ranked Crimson Tide, they had established offensive superstars in quarterback DeShaun Watson, receiver Mike Williams, and running back Wayne Gallman, all of whom now play on Sundays. This year, the Tigers offense relied on a quartet of running backs to score points. Travis Etienne, Tavien Feaster, Adam Choice, and C.J. Fuller have all received at least 50 carries this season, with none getting more than 103. Clemson’s offense runs (no pun intended) through those four backs, but you can’t overlook first year quarterback Kelly Bryant, who is also a threat on the ground, giving Clemson five capable ball carriers. However, he is neither a prolific nor terribly efficient passer (13 TDs, 6 INTs, 138.1 rating). As a whole, the Tiger’s strength lies on the defensive side of the ball, where they have allowed 12.8 points per game, the 2nd lowest mark in the country. Their defensive line is the best in the land.

Alabama (11-1)
Best Player: Defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick

Unlike Clemson, Alabama returns much of their offense from the title game last year. Quarterback Jalen Hurts, running backs Damien Harris and Bo Scarbrough, and receiver Calvin Ridley are big reasons why the Tide put up an average of 39.1 points per game this season. Hurts is a similar player to Clemson’s Bryant: decent through the air and dangerous running the ball. But, Hurts does have a huge edge when it comes to big game experience, having played in last year’s playoff. As always, ‘Bama’s defensive front is a force to be reckoned with. Injuries hit their linebacking corps hard this year, but true freshman Dylan Moses stepped up and has performed well in a starting role.

The game will be decided by….

Which team will be able to move the ball through the air. As of now, this game has the looks of a low-scoring, defensive battle between two teams that like to run the ball. Both of these defenses are too good to be given trouble by a one dimensional attack. Jalen Hurts and Kelly Bryant aren’t known for their ability to effectively throw the ball down the field, but they’ll have to for their teams to have success.

Prediction: Clemson 24, Alabama 20

$210
$1500