Duncan Stephenson previews the 2017 PlayStation Fiesta Bowl between Washington and Penn State.

Credit: Courtesy of Peter Moore

New Year’s Six: Fiesta Bowl

Fiesta Bowl: (11) Washington Huskies vs. (9) Penn State Nittany Lions

Line: Penn State (-2.5)
Date: Saturday, Dec. 30, 2017
Time: 4:00 p.m.
TV: ESPN
Venue: University of Phoenix Stadium, Phoenix, AZ

Penn State (10-2)
Best Player: Running back Saquon Barkley

For most of the 2017 season, Penn State was considered a favorite to go to the playoff. That notion took a big hit after they lost to Ohio State in Columbus, and then followed up that performance with a stinker at Michigan State, dropping them to 7-2. However, they have quietly ended the regular season winning three straight. The Lions’ offense features one of the best players in all of college football: running back Saquon Barkley. Barkley is a threat running the ball, catching passes and returning kicks. He put up over 2,100 all-purpose yards and found the endzone 21 times this season. Joining Barkley in the backfield is quarterback Trace McSorley, who had a great year in his own right (26 TDs, 8 INTs, 11 rushing TDs). Penn State’s defense is led by a pair of playmaking seniors: linebacker Jason Cabinda and safety Marcus Allen. They spearhead a unit that ranked in the top 10 in points allowed in the FBS.

Washington (10-2)
Best Player: Defensive lineman Vita Vea

Like Penn State, Washington entered 2017 with playoff expectations, and was ranked in the top seven for most of the season. A conference loss at Arizona State took some wind out of their sails, and a defeat at the hands of Stanford a few weeks later crushed their playoff hopes for good. The Huskies are a very balanced team, laying claim to a top 20 offense and top ten defense in the country. Offensively, quarterback Jake Browning is experienced, but regressed mightily from his 2016 performance that was borderline Heisman worthy (43 TDs, 9 INTs). The loss of receiver John Ross hurt, and Browning threw only 18 TD passes this season. Running back Myles Gaskin had an outstanding year, racking up more than 1,500 total yards and scoring 22 TDs. On defense, lineman Vita Vea is a beast in the trenches, constantly plugging running lanes while providing an occasional pass rush. Defensive backs Byron Murphy and Taylor Rapp are young, and know how to go get the ball.

The game will be decided by…

Washington’s ability to slow down Barkley. While McSorley is a good player in his own right, this Penn State offense runs through their star ball carrier. Both Ohio State and Michigan State held Barkley to under 100 total yards, and Washington will have to do the same if they want to win. Vea will have to dominate the Lions’ interior linemen and the Huskies’ linebackers will have to wrap up Barkley before he breaks into the third level of the defense. If Barkley is able to do so… look out.

Prediction: Penn State 34, Washington 20

$210
$1500