Duncan Stephenson previews the 2018 Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl between Auburn and UCF.

Credit: Courtesy of Peter Moore

New Year’s Six: Peach Bowl

Peach Bowl: (12) UCF Knights vs. (7) Auburn Tigers

Line: Auburn (-9.5)
Date: Monday, Jan. 1, 2018
Time: 12:30 p.m.
TV: ESPN
Venue: Mercedes-Benz Superdome, New Orleans, LA

Auburn (10-3)
Best Player: running back Kerryon Johnson

The Tigers have had the best ten win season in recent memory. They knocked off a number-one ranked team twice in three weeks. Unfortunately, beating Georgia for a second time in the SEC Championship game was simply too much to ask of a team that was dealing with injuries and the emotional toll of its previous victories. Nonetheless, Auburn finds itself in a New Year’s Six, and has the chance to go out on a high note. Quarterback Jarrett Stidham had an outstanding second half of the season, and had big time performances against Georgia and Alabama in the regular season. A healthy Kerryon Johnson would be a big help for the Tigers’ offense. Even if Johnson isn’t at full strength, I don’t anticipate Auburn having trouble moving the ball against UCF. Look for Auburn’s head coach Gus Malzahn to get receiver Ryan Davis involved early with quick screens and other short passes. On the other side of the ball, Auburn features an incredibly talented defensive line that will most likely cause UCF trouble.

UCF (12-0)
Best Player: quarterback McKenzie Milton

UCF went unbeaten through the regular season and conference championship, earning them the Group of 5’s New Year’s Six bid. Second year coach Scott Frost turned the Knights around in 2017, as they have doubled their win total from a season ago. Quarterback McKenzie Milton commands the nation’s highest scoring offense (49.4 points per game) and looks to get the ball to the Knights’ playmakers in space. This unit has been capable of making big plays all year. Linebacker Shaquem Griffin is the Knights’ best defender. He only has one hand, but was one of the country’s best linebackers for the second straight year (10 tackles for loss, 5.5 sacks). It’ll be interesting to see if this undersized defense can stand up to Auburn’s powerful running game.

The game will be decided by…

Kerryon Johnson’s health. When Johnson is at full strength, Auburn’s offense is a completely different animal. His ability to get 30 touches and get stronger as the game goes on is special. Johnson also allows the Tigers to run their beloved wildcat package. Without a healthy Johnson, Georgia was able to easily shut down Auburn’s attack, limiting them to seven points. A three-week rest should be enough to nurse his shoulder and knee back to health.

Prediction: Auburn 48, UCF 27

$60
$1500