WSPN+Staff+Reporter+Lucy+Grasso+breaks+down+the+Boston+Mayoral+Race+and+the+two+candidates+running.+

Credit: Courtesy of flickr user: kgroovy

WSPN Staff Reporter Lucy Grasso breaks down the Boston Mayoral Race and the two candidates running.

Boston Mayoral Race Breakdown

November 2, 2021

The 2021 Boston Mayoral Race is set to take place on Tuesday, Nov. 2. It is a historic election as it is the first time two women are running against each other.

Previously, on Sept. 14, a preliminary election was held between the acting mayor, Kim Janey, and seven other competitors: Andrea Campbell, Michelle Wu, John Barros, Robert Cappucci, Jon Santiago, Richard Spagnuolo and Annissa Essaibi George. Michelle Wu and Annissa Essaibi George were the winners with Wu taking 33.4% of the votes, and Essaibi George taking 22.5%. Kim Janey only won 19.5% of the votes.

No matter the result of the upcoming election, both Essaibi-George and Wu will make history with a win as no woman has ever won the Boston Mayoral Race. Kim Janey has only been the acting mayor since Marty Walsh left the position to become the Secretary of Labor in March of 2021.

Michelle Wu

Background:
Michelle Wu is the daughter of two Taiwanese immigrants. She is a current mother of two boys and resides in Roslindale, MA. She is a Harvard University and Harvard Law School graduate. Professionally, she is a previous legal services attorney, restaurant owner and Constituency Director in the U.S. Senate. She was also on the Boston City Council for 7 years, making history as the first Asian-American woman to serve and was later elected as Council president in 2016, making history once again. She is currently a Boston City Councilor at-large.

Endorsements:
She is endorsed by US senator from Massachusetts and former professor, Elizabeth Warren, US senator from Massachusetts, Ed Markey, US Representative from Massachusetts, Ayanna Pressley and after her election loss, acting Mayor of Boston, Kim Janey.

Agenda:
Wu is a member of the Democratic Party and has an extensive and progressive agenda. She has proposed a Green New Deal plan for Boston, and she wants to achieve carbon neutrality by 2040. Additionally, Wu wants to bring back rent control, laws to prevent increases in rent and are based on a fixed formula calculated by the government or specific rent control board. This control helps low-income families and households, but many argue that it decreases the value of the neighborhood and makes them less appealing to live in. This is controversial because it has been outlawed in Massachusetts since 1994. Additionally, Wu wants to get rid of the Boston Planning and Development Agency. Finally, she is an advocate of defunding the police, which includes cutting down their annual salary, eliminating their overtime pay and creating a separate team to deal with nonviolent 911 calls.