WSPN’s Talia Macchi voices her thoughts and feelings on a few of the eye catching outfits that were displayed at the 2023 Met Gala. (Credit: Alyssa Ao)
WSPN’s Talia Macchi voices her thoughts and feelings on a few of the eye catching outfits that were displayed at the 2023 Met Gala.

Credit: Alyssa Ao

Met Gala 2023 review: A Met to remember

May 12, 2023

Did anyone else wake up with an extra twinkle in their eye or see a little glitter in the sky on the morning of May 1? Did you go throughout the day with a mixed feeling of anticipation and uneasiness sitting in your stomach as you wondered which of your favorite celebrities would light up the Met stairs in just a few hours? And isn’t it just apropos that such a melodramatic event would take place on a nicely aligned date. ‘Monday, May 1st’ just sounds lovely, don’t you think? And the theme too, “Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty.” The Met Gala is always a night filled with elegance, opulence and ingenuity, and this year, the 75th Met, was no exception.

So now let’s talk about the theme. If you know fashion, then you know Karl Lagerfeld, and even if you don’t, you’ve probably heard his name. He was a German fashion designer that worked for many top fashion brands. Known for his refusal to retire, Lagereld passed while still designing for Chanel. This year, the theme celebrated a person rather than a concept, which was a new take on the Met Gala, and a factor that set it apart.

Another aspect of this year’s Met that differed from past years was the actual red carpet. The thing is, I would not consider the red carpet to be a “red carpet.” The carpet had shades of blue and crimson red streaked over an off-white base. I know in past years the classic carpet has lacked the color red entirely, but I found this lined pattern to be particularly distracting.

One of the first celebrities on the carpet, and one of the first looks that caught my eye, was Dua Lipa wearing a 1992 couture Chanel dress. Dua Lipa seemed to be filled with grace and confidence as she made her way into the exhibit wearing this cream tweed ball gown. I adored this pretty princess look on the mature singer.

In contrast, the magnificent Margot Robbie looked more like a villain than a princess, but in the best way possible. With the actresses’ sharp cheekbones and black abstract dress, I was getting Maleficent vibes from her, which made me question how an actor that looks so sophisticated is playing Barbie in the new film. I was a big fan of this number on Robbie.

The trio that I was most excited to see was the Kardashian/Jenner clan, especially because of their massive letdown at last year’s Met. Kendal Jenner definitely dressed to impress this year, and her look was my favorite out of the three. When Kendal Jenner first stepped foot on the carpet, my jaw dropped. The high ponytail, the platform heels, the sequined bodysuit and the long cape fit so well together. She looked like a powerful superhero to say the least.

Kylie Jenner wore a custom Jean Paul Gaultier asymmetrical red dress. The dress was not just a dress however. The long train on the dress transformed into a puffer coat, which she took on and off throughout the night. Lastly, Kim Kardashian showed up in pearls, pearls and more pearls. Her top seemed as if it was a giant pearl necklace draped over her chest, and her skirt looked the same. The odd beige fabric on her waist looked like a huge bandage to me.

Yes, the sisters’ confidence beamed throughout the night and they definitely brought the sass to the carpet, but I continue to hope for a look from them that was as outstanding as their 2019 Met looks.

Other looks that I was excited to see were Jack Harlow and Emma Chamberlain. I was not only excited to see their looks, but I was also very eager to see them interact with each other after their awkward but iconic conversation they shared at last year’s Met. Chamberlain wowed the crowd with an outfit change in between walking the Met stairs and becoming a Vogue interviewer for the night. At first she looked like a sassy Cinderella with her blue cropped blazer and maxi skirt and the matching headband, silver accessories and heels. Her second look of the night was quite similar, but it was a black satin material rather than a baby blue, making her more sophisticated during her interviews.

Harlow wore a navy Tommy Hilfiger suit which fit him to a tee. He also wore a red satin collared shirt underneath which added a nice pop. Many adore Harlow for his head full of curls, but I would rather not talk about the mess that it was. And the duo’s interaction was even better than last year’s because they were able to joke about the uncomfortable happenstance.

A look that caught many off guard of Doja Cat’s. Let’s just say she put the cat in Doja Cat, and captured the theme on another level. Doja showed up to the Met wearing a silver hooded backless gown that had a white feathered train. Seems like a normal Met look right? Well, she also had prosthetics on her face, transforming her into a cat, Specifically, Choupette, Karl Lagerfeld’s cat. But I think she looked more like a Who from Whooville than a house pet. “It makes no sense for anyone to go as Karl’s cat more than Doja Cat,” said Doja Cat’s director, Brett Alan Nelson in an interview with Vogue, and I totally agree.

Surprisingly, this was not the only cat we saw on the carpet. Jared Leto wore a head-to-toe cat costume that shocked everyone in the crowd. At first, Jared appeared anonymously as he prowled up and down the met stairs with his face covered. But soon, he took off his fluffy helmet and revealed himself, and shared that he too showed up to the Met as Choupette.

The 2023 Met Gala was definitely a Met to remember. Celebrities took the theme to the next level, showing off all their creativity within the fashion scene. Some looks took my breath away while others filled me with disappointment. I watched the Met like a movie critique this year, so if I were to give it a rating, I would give it a 7.5/10. The half a point off is for Blake Lively not attending.